Chapter Two: Farmer's Market

Doom Slayer's POV

After breakfast, I changed into something different: A dark green sweatshirt and a pair of jeans; of course, some undergarments and boots as well. Heading outside, I gathered up the food we had collected and placed them in an old wooden carriage.

When we began to recover from the invasion, most of the metal scrap went towards rebuilding our homes and cities, as well as other various means, which I could not describe

When we began to recover from the invasion, most of the metal scrap went towards rebuilding our homes and cities, as well as other various means, which I could not describe. Once common animals, as well as humans, have recently become an endangered species. The prices of basic farm animals grew exponentially due to this, and the fact that our currency was through precious metals and barter made it that much harder to buy.

As surprising as it sounded, the farm had a few animals of its own: 2 chickens, a bull, and a cow. None of which, we would ever sell, but instead eat.... well.... maybe the eggs we'll sell. Despite that, we had no horses or donkeys as they were among the most expensive of animals. Cars and helicopters were even more so. This meant that I myself would have to act as the workhorse and pull the cart into the city, about a good mile or two across. Nothing big.

As I got the cart ready, Caitlyn and the kids all came outside to talk to me.

Caitlyn: Heading out?

William: Yeah. I'm gonna see if we can get some more chickens for all this.

Natalie: Actually... do you mind trying to get us a pig?

A pig?

Roxanne: Ooh! Bacon!

No!

For me, raising pigs were the biggest pain in the ass. Their meat is delicious, yes, but that's provided they didn't eat up your entire supply of food first.

Caitlyn: I wouldn't mind it, but it's up to your father.

The two girls stared up at me with teary eyes.

Roxanne: Pwease?

The one minor thing I hated about parenting was the fact that the wife and children can work together to manipulate the man of the household to do as they say. In that moment, I sighed in disbelief before nodding.

William: I guess... I'll see what I can do.

Caitlyn: Roxanne, Natalie. You two mind going with your father to the city?

William: Wait, what?

Natalie: Shotgun!

Roxanne: Piggy-back!

Oh no...

As Natalie hopped onto the seat of the wagon, Roxanne proceeded to latch onto my back like a spider, climbing up onto my shoulders before resting her legs on them, using my head as a handrest.

AH!

William: I thought it was just gonna be the two of us. What happened to that?

Caitlyn: I still have a few chores to do in the house as well as feeding the animals.