Chapter 5: Strange

It was bright outside. The clouds seemed to be shaped like hearts and flowers. It was a beautiful morning. I was holding Peridot's hand and walking along. She looked so beautiful with the sun reflecting off of her like green eyes. I pressed my lips against hers. I could see it begin to become dark. I pulled away and looked around. I was terrified. The clouds were gone, and the sky was black. Suddenly, something grabbed me and ripped me away from Peridot. I screamed.

"Peridot!"

I sat up, breathing hard. I was just in bed. Peridot was asleep next to me. I lay down and tried to fall back asleep, but I couldn't. The dream was scaring me too much. It was just too vivid. It felt too real. I swore I could almost feel the pain of being ripped away from her.

I tried every sleeping position. I tried to sleep with one pillow, which didn't work, so I kept trying to sleep with more until I had five pillows. I even tried cuddling with Peridot. I tried laying different ways. Nothing worked. I couldn't sleep. I sat up and sighed. I didn't have anything to do, and Peridot wasn't awake either. I had to sit and think instead. I was so tired, but I couldn't sleep. That was all I wanted to do.

The sun came up, and I was exhausted. Peridot woke up and stretched. She pushed her hair back and looked at me with a smile that quickly contorted.

"Lapis," she said. "You have dark rings under your eyes. Did you sleep?"

"I had a really, really vivid dream," I answered. "I couldn't get back to sleep afterward. I tried, I really did."

"I'm so sorry," Peridot whispered, kissing my head.

"It's not your fault," I replied.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Peridot asked.

"Just let me sleep," I answered. "All I want is sleep."

Peridot nodded and kissed my head. She wrapped her arms around me. I almost immediately fell asleep. She was too warm, and I was so tired.

I woke up later. The sun was shining brightly through the windows, and Peridot was gone. I looked around. She wasn't in the room. I got off of the bed and walked out into the hallway. I could hear the television. I walked into the living room. That was exactly where she was.

"Lapis, Lapis," she said, quickly walking to me. "Sit down. I'll take care of you."

"I can take care of myself," I replied.

"No," Peridot said. "Let me take care of you. Sit down on the couch and let me get you some breakfast."

"Fine," I responded.

Peridot took me to the couch and made me sit down. I covered myself up with a warm blanket and waited for Peridot to come back.

"Let me guess," she said. "Apple butter, as usual?"

"Eh," I responded. "I'm not feeling apple butter today."

"You always have apple butter," Peridot said. "Every time. Even when I ask you if you're having it, you always roll your eyes and remind me that you have it every time."

"I'm just not feeling it today," I replied.

"Then what do you want?" Peridot asked.

"I really want grape jelly," I answered. "And I think bananas."

I could hear the toaster finish toasting the bread. Peridot didn't respond to me. She must have been as confused as I was. A couple of minutes later, she sat next to me with the plates of toast. I took my piece and took a bite out of it. It tasted good. I kept eating it. I looked over at Peridot, who had a very judging expression on her face.