Chapter 34: Rain

It wasn't the stomp of thunder that woke me up late that night, but in fact, it was the terrified screams from Turquoise, who had never heard a sound like thunder before. I was up on my feet almost immediately, rushing to her. I carefully picked her up and held her in my arms. I rocked her until she was calm again. That was when she figured out that she was hungry, too. I sat on my bed and fed her. It surprised me that Peridot was still asleep. She almost always woke up when Turquoise began to cry. Turquoise was happy when she was done eating. As I got up to put her back in her crib, she began to cry again.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Do you want to sleep with Peridot and I?"

I sat back down on my bed, and Turquoise immediately calmed down. I smiled. She just wanted to sleep with Peridot and me. I lay back down with Turquoise in my arms and fell asleep. I heard Turquoise soon follow. The rest of the night, all I heard was the pitter-patter of rain and silence from Turquoise.

I woke up the next morning. The room was dark. It was clearly still raining. Turquoise was still asleep next to me.

"Morning." I heard Peridot say. "Sleep well?"

"Turquoise got scared by the thunder," I answered. "That was the only interruption."

"Did you sleep well after?" Peridot asked curiously.

"Yeah," I answered. "Turquoise was calm with me. I fed her too, so that probably did something for her."

Peridot took Turquoise from her spot next to me and kissed her head. I saw her eyes flutter open, and she looked up at Peridot. She reached toward Peridot's face, making her little noises happily.

"My wolves," I said quietly to myself.

I heard the quiet rumble of thunder in the distance, and my instincts made me immediately look at Turquoise. She was curiously looking out the window, watching every little drop of rain fall. She looked up at Peridot again and made a noise to get her attention. Peridot looked down at her curiously, clearly anxious.

"What is it?" She asked.

Turquoise looked back at the window and made more of her little noises. That's when it came to me.

"I think she wants to go outside," I said.

"In the rain?" Peridot asked.

"I think so," I answered.

"Do we have to?" Peridot asked. "It's so nice and warm in here."

"You're a werewolf," I answered. "You're practically a living space heater."

"...it's nice in here!" Peridot cried.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Come on. It won't be that bad," I responded.

"...are you sure?" Peridot asked.

"Are you nervous?" I responded.

"No," Peridot answered. "I just really don't want to get wet right now. It's nice and dry in here."

"You'll live," I said. "Plus, this is the first time it's rained since before Turquoise was born. This will be good for her."

"...fine," Peridot replied. "Just make it quick. I wanna be dry again soon."

I sat on the floor with Turquoise as Peridot took a tiny yellow poncho out of the closet. She helped me put it on Turquoise, who didn't seem to like the thick plastic. I put her little hood on, and she was ready to go. I had to make myself not respond to her irritated noises. I was not sending her outside without that poncho.

"Alright. Outside," Peridot said.

I put on my own rain jacket and followed Peridot out of the room. I zipped up my jacket with Turquoise in it, letting her see everything as we walked. Peridot opened the back door and gestured for me to walk through it. As soon as I did, rain began to slide down my jacket. I double-checked that Turquoise's hood was on, and then I stepped out fully into the falling water. Turquoise immediately began to look around curiously, reaching out and feeling the water drip down her tiny little hand. She seemed shocked that this falling water was even real, and her face was just absolutely precious. Peridot came outside, her hair immediately falling around her face from the weight of the water in it. She looked beautiful.