Chapter 20: Family

I sat down with Lapis on the couch. She was cheery, as expected. It was only the day before that we had been wed. Not to mention that the baby was kicking now. It made both of us very excited. Lapis leaned against me and smiled a sweet smile. I kissed her head. I loved seeing her happy. It warmed me inside to see her smile like that. I didn't even feel as fuzzy when I was a wolf as I did when I saw her beautiful smile. A little grunt left her mouth. Suddenly, I felt terrified. I felt angry. I felt upset. I held her closer to me and kissed her head. I was not going to let whatever this was hurt her like that.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I have stomach cramps," Lapis answered.

"I'll destroy them," I growled.

Lapis let out a quiet little laugh. The one I admired.

"Peri, you can't destroy a cramp," she said weakly. "I think you'd just make it worse if you tried."

"I'll do anything to make it stop," I whispered, leaning in.

"Just get me some pain medicine then," Lapis replied.

Immediately, I jumped up. I ran as fast as I could to the bathroom. Lapis needed a savior. I couldn't be that at the moment, but a couple of pills could. As soon as I had them in my hands, I flew back to the living room.

"Peri," Lapis said as I handed her the pills. "I can't take these without water."

"Of course," I responded.

I ran away once more to the kitchen and filled a small cup with water. I was about to run back to the living room when I remembered that the water would spill at the speed I ran. I carefully walked back to Lapis. I hated walking. Walking was too slow for me. Eventually, I made it back to Lapis on the couch. I handed her the water, and she took her pills with it. Then I sat down next to her to provide further protection against her cramps. She let out a cute little sigh. She was relaxed. I smiled. Finally, she was okay.

"Peri?" Lapis asked.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Can you get yourself closer to my stomach?" Lapis asked. "I think the warmth may help my cramps."

I slowly moved closer to Lapis until my stomach was against hers. She let out that relaxed sigh again. Good. It was working. I held Lapis nice and close to me. I watched her close her eyes and fall asleep in my arms. I smiled. Perfect. The nap would give the medicine time to kick in and stop her cramps. She wouldn't be hurting anymore.

I looked outside. It was sunny and warm. It was certainly much different than the conditions we had dealt with during our last fight against Topaz. It had been cold and snowy. Not good for Lapis. I sighed. That was what I wanted. Something good for Lapis. How was I going to make sure she was happy when the baby was born? I didn't have the first clue about how to be a parent. I wasn't relaxed at all. In fact, I was worrying like Topaz were coming back. Of course, that could be a possibility, but I felt that it was a rare one.

I saw Mom walking past us. I knew I needed time to calm myself.

"Mom," I said.

"Yes?" She replied.

"Can you watch Lapis for me?" I asked.

"Are you going somewhere?" Mom replied.

"Just outside," I answered. "I need some me-time."

"Why do you want me to watch Lapis?" Mom asked. "I'm sure she'll be fine."

"I don't want her to wake up sick," I answered. "Can you please keep an eye on her?"