Chapter 25: Lemonade

It was a week later now, and I had rested well every night. Lapis fell asleep easily because I was snuggling with her, allowing me to fall asleep very soon after. It was a morning like any other morning today, but I was happy. Was it the sun or my feeling rested? I would never know. I flipped another pancake onto a plate right as Lapis came downstairs.

"You're back to making breakfast?" She asked.

"Yep," I answered. "Not your classic apple butter toast." I eyed her. "Unless you'd like apple butter toast."

Lapis let out that adorable laugh of hers and sat down at the kitchen bar. "Pancakes are lovely," she said. "Is it too late to ask for chocolate chips?"

I threw a paper plate to her. It landed gently in front of her, but she was startled.

"Catch," I said.

I flipped a pancake into the air. Lapis picked up her plate surprisingly quickly and caught the pancake with it when it fell. It landed upside down, revealing the hundreds of chocolate chips I had stuffed in it.

"Oh!" She exclaimed in a singsong voice.

"Your tastes are like mine," I said. "Chocolate. You also like the taste of sweet."

"How do you know that?" Lapis asked, one eyebrow raised.

"Like I said," I answered. "Your tastes are like mine. I very much admire the taste of sweet."

Lapis looked at me from across the kitchen. I allowed myself to wink. Suddenly, her face flushed with red, and she stared down at her pancake. I found myself laughing loudly at her reaction as I got myself a pancake.

"I want to say I'm joking, but that would be a lie," I said as I sat next to her. "But also the truth, if you think about it. I didn't mean to embarrass you."

"It's alright," Lapis replied.

We were silent for a moment. I could feel Lapis's eyes on me. I turned to her, and there she was, just staring at me.

"Do I really taste sweet?" She asked.

"Like sugar," I answered.

Lapis suddenly wrapped her arms around my head and pulled me right into her, pressing her lips against mine. It took me a second to realize what was happening. She pulled away, stroking her chin jokingly.

"You taste like pancake," she said.

"I wonder why," I replied, grinning.

I returned to eating my pancake. It was delicious. I had made it correctly, it seemed. I was becoming a better cook. I smiled. When I was finished with my pancake, I threw my plate away and waited for Lapis. She took a little longer than I did, but she eventually finished. I took her plate for her and threw it away. Then I returned to her side.

"Do you wanna cuddle?" I asked. "Maybe watch some TV."

"Sure," Lapis answered. "That sounds lovely."

I picked her up off of her chair and carried her to the couch. I then proceeded to wrap her in a blanket just in case she had one of her cold spells. She smiled up at me, and I kissed her nose. I looked up at the window. The sand was reflecting the sunlight, making the beach shimmer like it was covered in tiny gems. It was so pretty. Sometimes I wished I could see all of it all the time. I sighed. If only.

What if?

I rushed to the office at full werewolf speed, grabbed a large piece of paper, and ran back to the living room. Lapis eyed me curiously as I sat down.

"Where'd I put that pencil?" I asked.

Lapis ran her fingers through my hair and pulled out my missing pencil. I blinked.