Chapter 55: Party

I bounced Turquoise up and down in my arms to keep her entertained while the werewolves ran around. Everybody was so excited to be done with the vampires at last. Not only that, but a secret source—Lily—had managed to find that Topaz's birthday was in the middle of December. That was when we had decided to throw a surprise birthday party for her. We had gotten Lily to take her elsewhere while we were setting up.

"Are you excited to throw your Auntie Topaz a birthday party?" I asked Turquoise, kissing her cheek.

Turquoise made a little noise in response and kicked the air with her tiny little feet. I couldn't hold back a giggle.

I saw Peridot putting some streamers up around the beach for Topaz rather quickly. None of us had any idea about how much time we had before Lily and Topaz came back, so everybody was working as quickly as possible. I was waiting for the cake to finish baking with Yellow. According to Topaz herself, her favorite cake was a strawberry cake when she was a human. We thought it would be a good idea to give her a food she hadn't had in so long. Today was her one hundredth birthday. She deserved it. She had done so much for us.

"You sure she won't throw it up later?" Peridot had asked me earlier that day.

"I'm not," I answered. "But I'm hoping she appreciates the thought at the very least."

"Maybe we should ice it with some of your blood," Peridot suggested jokingly.

"I thought she lost her taste for that," I responded.

The door opened suddenly, and there was Peridot with some extra streamers in her hands. Behind her was Royal Blue, who seemed happy enough to be done putting the streamers up.

"How are my favorite girls?" Peridot asked, smiling that wonderful smile of hers.

"Amazing," I answered as she walked up to me and kissed my nose.

Peridot took the baby from me gently and kissed her forehead, smiling widely. Turquoise snuggled up to her and closed her eyes, likely to take a brief nap.

"How's the cake?" Peridot asked, rubbing Turquoise's back.

"It's in the oven," I answered. "It should be ready to be taken out in a few minutes."

"Lily and Topaz are about to turn around," Royal Blue said. "They'll be walking, but we should be wary of their return."

A few minutes later, the cake's timer went off. Turquoise had woken up when she felt the heat of the oven, and she had taken a rather deep interest in watching me put the frosting on it.

"You want some?" I asked, kissing her cheek.

She squealed in response, snuggling even closer to Peridot.

I finished icing the cake quickly, so I placed it on the table while everybody else got the presents. I put the candles on the cake, and we were finally ready. Everybody got into their hiding spots. I hid behind the couch next to Peridot, who was still smiling. I took out Turquoise's pacifier and put it in her mouth to keep her quiet until the lights were on. I knew that the thing that would ruin the surprise most was a crying baby.

I heard the door creak open, and I squeezed Turquoise's hand. She looked over at me, and I noticed something else about her. At the same time, Peridot looked at me. Peridot's eyes were glowing green, and Turquoise's were glowing teal. Werewolf eyes.

"Where is everyone?" I heard Topaz ask from the front door.

I heard someone hit the light switch, and everyone immediately jumped up. Topaz, on the other hand, jumped back and bumped into Lily, seemingly a bit frightened.