Chapter 19: Married

I didn't understand why we had to practice walking down the aisle so many times. I assure you, I can walk in a straight line. Even though it wasn't anything significant, I swore that Dad was on the verge of tears every time. I stepped in front of Peridot and looked at her. She was just wearing her usual green plaid jacket with a black t-shirt. The actual wedding wasn't until tomorrow. That would be the day when we'd have more that forty people watching us. That thought scared me. Peridot had said that it was only going to be family and friends, which calmed me a little bit. The real challenge would be that a large sum of these people didn't know the wolves' secret. We would have to keep it. That meant that mentioning the baby wasn't allowed.

We went through the lines again, and, once again, Peridot and I got to kiss each other. That was the one benefit of all of these practices.

"Are you two ready?" Yellow asked.

"I think so," Peridor answered. "Are you ready, Lapis?"

"I think I am," I answered.

"Just to think," Dad said, walking up to us. "After tomorrow, my baby's gonna be all grown up. You're gonna take good care of her, right, Peridot?"

"Of course," Peridot answered. "I'll take the best care of her."

"Okay," Dad said. "I'm very happy for you two." He visibly tensed up and grinned nervously. "But I'm also very terrified."

"They'll be fine," Yellow assured him. "The best care someone can be given is the care from a werewolf to an imprint. They're gonna take good care of each other."

"What about the baby?" Dad asked. "Will they know how to handle that?"

"You remember when I was a doctor," Yellow answered. "I'm gonna help them."

"Okay," Dad said.

I held Peridot's hand and walked back toward the house. Dad and Yellow followed us in. I sat on the couch with Peridot and cuddled with her. She was so warm. Peridot smiled and kissed my forehead. She seemed to be just as excited as I was.

"Alright, Lapis," Dad said. "It's your last day of childhood. Time to go home."

"Aw," I replied. "But I wanna stay with Peridot!"

"You're an adult tomorrow," Dad said. "Today, you're a kid."

"Okay," I responded. "I have to go."

"I'll be waiting, my love," Peridot said, kissing my forehead.

I got up and followed my dad outside. I waved one last time to Peridot. It was crazy. For a year and a half, she had been my girlfriend. For a month, she had been my fiancé. Just tomorrow, she would be my wife. I found myself anxiously tapping the car's floorboard with my foot. I could barely wait any longer.

"You're excited," Dad said, sliding into the driver's seat.

"Of course I am," I replied. "Peridot is going to be my wife tomorrow. Tomorrow!"

Dad sighed. "I remember the day before I married your mother," he said. "I was just as excited as you are now. It's really a special day. Too bad we..."

"Yeah," I whispered.

I looked up. It felt like Peridot and I were jumping into this just like Dad and Mom had. They had divorced when I was just a little kid. The only difference was that Peridot wasn't human, and we were connected through an imprint. Surely that meant that I didn't need to worry, and everything was going to be fine. I sighed. This time, I really was overthinking.

I looked down at my stomach. The baby still hadn't kicked yet. There weren't any signs that I had a miscarriage, but I still worried. I wanted to know that she was alive. I looked over at my dad.