We Only Come Out At Night

Doug typed in a password on the wall and numerous bolts unlocking echoed. He slowly gripped his fingers around the door with no handle. He let out a loud sigh and dragged us in.

"You'll be let out in a few days, you've not done anything that bad so Mr Armstrong will realize where he's put you and take you out" He paused. "Hopefully" He muttered the last part looking down at his shoes.

This place was much different to the rest of the house, here it looked more like an unkempt prison. There were cells on either side, the bars were heavily rusted. The lighting was extremely dim. The floor was made of stone, nothing like the polished oak floorboards or soft carpets of upstairs. The loud echo of water dripping travelled through the cold atmosphere.

We carried on walking through what felt like an endless hall of jail cells. The deeper we went the colder it got. The occasional cell was occupied. The resident would scurry away into the dark of the cell, not wanting to be seen.

Finally we came to a man sat behind a desk. He looked extremely depressed and looked like he was just waiting to die. He had a scruffy stubble that he probably couldn't be bothered maintaining, he had long black straggly, greasy hair, that was also passed maintenance. He wore the usual lab coat, but his was a dirty white, it had black smudges like he had wiped his dirty hands constantly on it.

He sat behind his desk a knife held tightly in his grip, he was making markings into the old, rotten, wood desk.

"Peter?" Doug whispered. Peter stopped scratching but still held the knife tightly. His elbow rested on the desk holding up his head. He violently jammed the knife into the desk and let out a long sigh. 

He let got of the knife his knuckles cracking slightly. He looked up at us, he had amazing grey eyes, that glistened in the dim light. 

He looked almost close to tears. "He's giving me more". Doug nodded sympathetically. "Why?" He sighed.

"They nearly broke a few rules".

"Nearly?"

"Yeah, he's going a bit mad up there". Doug said slowly, not looking Peter in the eye.

"He's going mad, you come down here and tell me he's going mad, you want to spend a day down here, you don't know what it's like, he doesn't know what it's like, so don't you fucking dare say to me that he's going fucking mad!" Peter screamed at us, he gripped his hair as tears fell from his eyes. "Sorry mate" He whispered sitting behind the desk again. "Names?" He said running a hand through his knotty hair and wiping away stray tears.

"Joshua Franceschi and Oliver Sykes"

"How long?"

"Three days, approximately"

"Sure, thanks Doug" He said nodding.

Doug slapped both me and Josh on the back. "Good luck boys, I'll come and get you soon". He walked down the hall, disappearing quickly into the dark.

Peter pulled out a huge ring of hundreds of rusty keys. He flicked through them aimlessly. He gestured for us to follow him, we went down the second hall that was behind him.

The cells in this hall were much busier. These residents weren't as shy. They stood by the bars staring as we walked by. They were all unwashed, dressed in ripped clothes. I saw a familiar face in one cell. I stopped and saw Poppy, her black eyes staring at me, she wore the same white dress, she held a small teddy by the paw, it was missing an eye and had stuffing pouring out. I stared at her as she looked like she was trying to smile at me. I smiled back and waved slightly.

"Oliver" Josh whisper-shouted. I looked to see them standing outside an empty cell, a few down the hall. I ran up to them.

"Here you are boys" Peter said in his depressing I-want-to-die voice. He pulled the heavy cell door behind us locking it with one of the keys. He soon disappeared back down the hall.

Josh and stared at each other for a while. Until Josh tore his eyes away and went to lie down on the old fold-able bed. It had a sack-like material for a duvet.

"There's only one bed" I said pointing out the obvious. Josh shuffled closer to the wall, hugging himself tightly.

Apart from the one 'bed' there was a toilet in the other corner, it obviously hadn't been cleaned, or flushed for that matter. There was also a sink next to it that was in the exact same condition. Looks like I won't be washing or using the toilet, whilst I'm here.

I turned around to see Josh picking at the crumbling wall. I went and sat next to him on the bed. After long, excruciatingly awkward minutes, I cleared my throat. "I'm sorry, all this is kind off my fault"

All Josh did was chuckle. It seemed louder in here, and he winced. "How? You did nothing wrong".

Truthfully I didn't know how to respond. We lay in silence on the bed, listening to the fucked up people in the near by cells.

There was never a silence here, it seemed every noise, was just part of a chain reaction. Someone may turn on the tap, which would cause someone to kick the wall repeatedly, to cause someone to hyperventilate, someone would scream, someone would laugh manically. They were all mad. But the most haunting noise of them all was the noises that were obviously coming from Poppy.

I walked up to the bars, to see her further down the hall, climbing on the bars, laughing, she saw me and stared.  Her mouth opened into a grin, but there were no teeth there, by the looks of it.

She jumped down from the bars and sat on the floor. She put her hand through the bars, towards me. She neck was twitching and her bones crack inhumanly loud as she moved her fingers. All I did was stand still staring at her. Her face dropped to a glare, she snatched her hand back into the cell. She gripped the bars, and the whole place was filled with her deep haunting scream and moans.

This caused multiple people to scream back, until almost everyone was trying to scream louder than everyone else. My ears ached and I backed away to Josh. I lied back down on the bed. I curled myself up into a ball, and tucked in my head, trying to quieten the screams. I felt Josh's arms wrap around me. His warmth, his smell, him, he comforted me. We lay like that all night, unable to sleep.

___________________________________________________________

Title: We Come Out At Night by Motionless In White

I got back from camping like a day early cause every one was a pussy about the rain! Whiny Ass Bitches, my family are!

I'm so evil, I'm still not saying why any of them are there, I will do soon don't worry.

Poppy's back. Peter's a bit mad, but do you blame him. A bit of a snuggle between Josh and Oli.

Hope you like it...comment/vote/add/follow...whatever you want.