Chapter 4- Aw, Shucks

I rush into another stall in the bathroom, trying to control my tears, but the more I try, the more tears come. After sitting on the toilet for what seems like a lifetime, my face soaked and black from my makeup, I walk out of the stall and to the bathroom sink. A couple of girls stare at me while I wash my face, but I ignore them.

I walk out of the bathroom and head towards the private lane. I reach Josh, who is sitting in a chair, twiddling his thumbs, and plop myself down in a chair next to him.

“Hey, you were in there for so long, I thought that you found some secret tunnel and escaped. Are you OK?” Josh asks.

“I-I’m fine.” I say, fighting back the tears that were trying to claw their way out of my eyes again.

“OK. Well, if you need someone to talk to, I’m here for you. By the way, while you were gone, some weird girl came over here and tried to talk to me. She told me that I have nice hair, and then she tried to kiss me! But then, I moved out of her way and her face smacked into a table! It was hilarious.” Josh says, laughing.

My face instantly lights up. He didn’t like her…Phew.

After Josh tells me the details of his “love-fest”, we begin the bowling game.

“That was so much fun! Thanks for showing me this place!” Josh says as he opens the car door for me again.

“No problem. I had a blast too.” I say, smiling.

As Josh pulls out of the parking lot, I spot a small man crouching behind a plant. It looks like he has a camera in his hand…

“Josh,” I say, “I think there’s a guy with a camera hiding over there.”

I point to him, and turn back to Josh, whose eyes are drooping with disappointment.

“It’s paparazzi…” he says, frowning.

“Well, let’s get out of here before they follow us!” I say, and Josh speeds off down the road.

Once we reach Josh’s house, he opens the car door for me yet again, and we walk inside.

“Mom, we’re home!” Josh yells as we walk to the stairs.

“Hey, guys! How was it?” Michelle asks, now standing by the stairs as well.

“It was really fun…until we started leaving.” Josh says.

“Why is that?”

Josh looks at me and then back to his mom.

“Because there was a paparazzi guy hiding behind a plant.” Josh says.

His mom hugs him, and says, “I’m so sorry, sweetie. I really thought this place was different. Do you want to try to find a different place?”

Josh looks at me. Is that blush on his cheeks?

“No…I like this place.” he says, smiling.

He turns back to his mom and I feel my heart start to race a mile a minute.

“So you want to go upstairs? I know the place isn’t furnished, but…” Josh asks me.

‘Sure!” I say.

We walk upstairs and I see Josh heading for the room Caleb used to be in.

“This is my room. Sorry it’s so messy. I just finished unpacking the bag of clothes I took with me in the car.” Josh says.

I walk in and see the walls covered in the blue paint that I picked out for Caleb a couple of years ago. I breathe in deep, trying to cover the fact that I was about to burst into tears.

“Yeah, um, my best friend used to live in this house. So, I know my way around here.” I say, laughing.

“Really? That’s cool!” Josh says, sitting himself down on the floor, and patting the floor to call me over too.

I sit down and say, “So, are you excited for Catching Fire?”

“Yeah, I’m stoked!" he says, "So, I wanted to tell you something..." 

“Yeah?”

“Um, well, I just want to say that your really fun to be around. And, I think your really pretty and stuff.” he says, blushing.

Wait. Did Josh Hutcherson just call me…pretty?

“ Thanks.” I say, blushing too.

He stares at the floor for a while, and then continues talking.

“Do- do you like me, Madi?”

“…Yeah. Doesn’t every girl?”

“Sure, but I mean…” he sighs, “Do you really like me? Like, even if I wasn’t famous, you would still like me?”

“Yes.” I say, blushing even more than I thought possible.

Then, my heart starts racing faster and faster, and I notice Josh close his eyes. He starts leaning towards me and-

Wait, wait, wait….is he…oh my gosh.

*HA. A cliff hanger! I'm so evil. ;) Sooo? Did you guys like this chapter? What do you think about the paparazzi scandal? Will something start stirring about Josh? And what about that big blush after Josh's mom asks him if he wants to move? What was that about? Leave your comments below, please. And vote, vote, vote! Thanks guys!

Teaser: I will most definitely finish that cliff hanger for ya'll. ;) And will Josh confess his feelings? I mean, you know, if he has any to share....;D

Update: Maybe Wednesday or Thursday. By the way, school is starting next week for me, so I might not be able to post as much. I'll try my best for you guys, though! Thanks for your support and please vote and comment! *