Ch. 4 Tea Ceremony

The House of Count Jingan was a military family, and the grandfather of the current Count Jingan was one of the country's founding fathers. Although the title had already been passed down for three generations and their rank had dropped from duke to count, the power of the House Jingan could not be underestimated.

The House of Count Jingan was not a normal military family. It was also not one of the powerless military families that the Emperor kept in Shenyang, corralling them like livestock.

The current Count Jingan defended the most important border in Mingzhou, possessing the title of Defender General.

Within the House of Count Jingan, the first son, He Changqi, managed the household. The second son, He Changjue, served in the military as one of the Left Military Guards, a particular division of guards in the palace.

Meanwhile, He Sanlang had learned martial arts from his father and brother at a young age. He visited the army often and had already made a name for himself.

Countess Jingan had given the He Family three sons. However, while giving birth to the third son, He Sanlang, she had suffered serious complications and remained bedridden even now.

Count Jingan guarded the border far away, and was only able to return home once every few years. The He Family also had a special rule: the sons of the He Family could only marry a single wife. They were only allowed to wed a concubine if, by the time they reached thirty years of age, their wife had not borne them a son.

Although Countess Jingan was now in poor health, she had given the He Family three sons, so Matriarch He treated her daughter-in-law rather well.

However, perhaps Count Jingan had used up all of the He Familys luck in producing heirs. When it came to the youngest generation, not a single heir had been born yet.

The heir of Count Jingan, He Changqi, had married the granddaughter of Marquis Dingyuan, Madam Zou.

Madam Zou had only gotten pregnant a year and a half after marrying into the He Family. However, her first child was a girl. After two more years, she had gotten pregnant again, but the resulting child had been yet another girl.

It wasn't clear if it was a problem with her or He Dalang (1), but for the following four whole years, she hadn't gotten pregnant again.

He Erlang (2) was a strange one. He had entered the military at an early age and was now twenty-four. However, he still refused to marry; his stubbornness had gotten to the point where it was even causing a ruckus within the family. Due to this, he would simply stay in the Left Military Guards barracks without returning to the estate, unless there was an important event going on.

Whenever He Dalang saw this little brother of his, he felt the urge to slap him.

Now the handsome He Sanlang had finally married. The bride was even a lady of the Chu Family, just as Matriarch He had specially requested from the imperial palace.

Matriarch He had thought that she would soon be able to hold a fair and chubby great-grandson in her arms, but unfortunately, this He Sanlang had somehow been reincarnated. It would be strange if he were willing to consummate his marriage with the wife who had cheated on him in his previous life!

Ah Matriarch He would have a long time to wait!

Of course, Matriarch He didnt know any of this at all.

As for Chu Lian, who was following behind He Sanlang with her back ramrod straight even though she didn't know what was going on with the sudden change in He Sanlang's personality, she knew all about the rest of the events that would take place. She had become the female lead in the novel she had been reading after all!