Ch. 105 Targeting Guilin Restaurant

Matriarch He stiffened imperceptibly and turned towards Dalang's wife, who was sitting not too far away with her head down.

Even though they met every day, why did she have the feeling that Dalang's wife had changed a lot recently?

How could Matriarch He have missed that hidden meaning in Madam Zou's words? Dalang's wife was afraid that the two little ones had lost favour with her and was trying to make sure that she wouldn't forget about the existence of the two young girls.

Unfortunately, Madam Zou hadn't understood her kind intentions at all. Her heart was only filled with thoughts of fighting for favour.

Matriarch He's earlier good mood completely dissipated.

"Do as you like. Make sure that the servants keep a watch on the girls' health. The weather outside is so cold now, so make sure they put on more layers and bring a hand warmer with them when going out."

"Granddaughter-in-Law understands."

Matriarch He picked up her teacup and took a sip before she said, "It's your mother's birthday tomorrow; how are the preparations going?"

"Rest assured, Grandmother. Granddaughter-in-Law has already ordered the servants to prepare everything. There won't be any accidents tomorrow."

"This old woman is already getting on in age and your mother's health still isn't what it was. It's been hard on you all these years!"

Madam Zou almost cried out upon hearing these words of praise from Matriarch He. Wasn't it so? She was the only one managing this huge estate. How could it possibly be easy? She had to get up early in the morning before the sun rose and listen to the daily reports from all the stewards of the estate, arrange for servants where needed, and even had to mind the relationships between the people in the estate.

It could be said that this great Jing'an Estate wouldn't be able to function without her.

Madam Zou felt even more aggrieved upon thinking about all this and sunk even further into her self-pity.

Tears leaked out of her eyes, already beyond her control. "As long as Grandmother understands Granddaughter-in-Law's hardships, then this bit of labour is nothing to Granddaughter-in-Law."

"Alright, stop crying, don't spoil your eyes by crying too much. If you have any hardships, you can tell Grandmother directly."

Madam Zou was still choked up with tears as she looked up at Matriarch He with wet eyes. "Grandmother, since you asked, Granddaughter-in-Law won't keep it from you anymore. Granddaughter-in-Law does have a matter to discuss with Grandmother."

Matriarch He was slightly stunned. She hadn't expected that Madam Zou would really take her up on her offer.

"What is it? Just say it out directly. There's nothing you have to hide from me."

Madam Zou hesitated before finally gathering the courage to speak. "Grandmother, Mother's medical expenses... I'm afraid our estate's public accounts can no longer afford them..."

A single month of Countess Jing'an's medicine cost at least a thousand taels. The monthly income for House Jing'an's public accounts was merely one to two thousand taels. Furthermore, Madam Zou wasn't good at business management, and the managers of the stores and properties they had were appropriating funds for themselves. It was getting harder and harder to keep this noble estate afloat.