Ch. 30 Personal Savings

When Heir Zheng reached the outer courts parlour, he saw two young men dressed in black robes, already seated and waiting for him.

He quickly strode forward, and the two young men stood up to welcome him.

"Heir Zheng."

"Ah, senior brothers, please don't stand on ceremony. Please call me Tiancheng. Sit down, sit down."

Of the two young men, one of them was exceptionally handsome; of course, that was Xiao Bojian. The other young man, Qi Minhe, lived in the same place as Xiao Bojian. He had a square face and thick eyebrows, and he looked a little old.

Qi Minhe came from one of the great clans of Jiangnan, and he was very loyal to his clan. The two young men were top students of the Imperial College. They were both about twenty years old, the time when many youths were filled with lofty aspirations.

When Qi Minhe saw that Heir Zheng had come holding a container in his hands, he found it strange and asked, "Tiancheng, what are you holding there?"

Heir Zheng chuckled secretively and invited the two of them to sit by a table. He then ordered the maidservants to pour some sencha for them.

He placed the container on the table carefully and said, "These are snacks from the Jingan Estate."

Qi Minhe was born from nobility and was used to all sorts of delicacies. He was extremely particular about anything he ate. Having studied at the Imperial College for more than three years, Qi Minhe knew all about the food served in every single estate in the capital. He had researched the topic until he knew it like the back of his hand. The Jingan Estate's snacks were famous, but he had never had the chance to try any before. When he heard that Tiancheng was currently in possession of some, he was both surprised and elated.

Xiao Bojian blanked out for a moment; the Jingan Estate was Chu Lian's husband's family. The image of the young man he had seen accompanying Chu Lian in the Ying Estate flashed through his mind.

With elegantly arched brows, a cold aura, and thin lips, that man had placed himself between him and Chu Lian, held onto her hand, and left, without even letting him have another look at her.

Heir Zheng noticed that Xiao Bojian was in a daze. "Senior Xiao?"

"We'll be enjoying these snacks all thanks to you then, Tiancheng."

Heir Zheng smiled freely and opened up the container, which still felt cool. There was thick cotton cloth stuffed on the inside, keeping heat out of the box and maintaining the cool temperature inside.

When Heir Zheng saw the desserts within the box, he froze for a moment. "This.."

"Tiancheng, what happened?"

Heir Zheng brought out the desserts in the box, still a little shaken. "Look at this."

He had eaten plenty of different snacks before, including even the ones from the palace, but never had Heir Zheng ever seen such beautiful, distinctive snacks like these before.

Xiao Bojian and Qi Minhe were equally stunned.

Qi Minhe lamented, "No wonder everyone says that the Jingan Estate's snacks are the best amongst the noble families. They are indeed extraordinary."

The water droplet lying upon the lotus leaf trembled like a real dewdrop.

However, Heir Zheng frowned slightly.

Qi Minhe noticed that he looked a little off, so he called to him, perplexed. "Tiancheng?"

Heir Zheng looked up at the two men. "Truth be told, I've eaten the snacks from the Jingan Estate many times. They really are as delicious as rumoured, but it's the first time I've seen a dessert like this."