Ch. 6 Secret Recipe

Mingyan and Jingyan were second-tier maidservants. How could they have ever had the chance to taste such fine cuisine before? These delicacies were reserved solely for the nobility!

The four personal maidservants each took a single pastry and carefully placed it in their mouths. They looked like they couldn't bear to eat it all at once, so instead, they took small, careful bites to savor the pastry like it was some priceless treasure.

Mingyan and Jingyan even displayed blissful expressions without any restraint.

Chu Lian watched them curiously. If she hadn't tasted that pumpkin pastry just now, she would have suspected that there was something wrong with her tastebuds.

"How is it?" Chu Lian asked quietly. She didn't want to disturb their enjoyment of the food.

Mingyan continuously nodded while she licked the sugar left behind on her fingers. "Third Young Madam, its delicious!" After saying so, her eyes drifted towards the two pastries left on the dish. She clearly had something else she wanted to say.

Chu Lian:......

After listening to all their replies and confirming that the pumpkin pastry was indeed delicious to them, Chu Lian began to despair.

Surely not! A pumpkin pastry sweet enough to kill someone was delicious to them?

These four maidservants had come from the House of Duke Ying. Even if their meals weren't as fine as that of the young masters and ladies, it was still comparable to the meals of a rich commoners family. If these were the maidservants tastes, and the maidservants tastes were the standards of the rich here in the Great Wu Dynasty Could it be that this was the level of fine dining here? Wasn't that too poor?

When Xiyan saw that her mistress expression had collapsed, her brows drew together. She thought that Chu Lian was unhappy, so she hurriedly said, "Third Young Madam, do you think that we caused you to lose face?"

A simple plate of sweets from a noble family's household had been all that it took to reduce them to such a state. As she recalled their loosened expressions from just moments prior, Xiyan felt that she had done something bad.

Chu Lian shook her head. This Xiyan was good at everything and put her whole heart into her work. However, she had the habit of overthinking things.

"How could that be? Its just a plate of pastries. Don't tell me that your mistress is such a stingy person in your hearts?"

They shook their heads, afraid that Chu Lian would misunderstand.

"Then there's nothing wrong. Why do you have such troubled expressions? If you like to eat them, then take these pastries and split it between all of you," Chu Lian said as she smiled.

Jingyan's eyes widened. She had a pair of canines peeking out, so she looked especially cute as she smiled and said, "Third Young Madam, if you give them all to us, then what are you going to eat?!"

Xiyan had specially gone to the kitchen to bring back these exquisite pastries for Chu Lian. Third Young Madam was one of their masters; they couldn't let her go hungry.

Chu Lian rested her chin on her slender hand and replied with an equally carefree manner, "I dont like to eat these. They don't suit my tastes."

"But Third Young Madam, didn't you like eating these sort of sweets back at the Ying estate?" Xiyan asked, finding it strange.

Chu Lians expression froze stiff for a moment. Damn it, she had forgotten that Xiyan and Fuyan had been the female leads personal maidservants, and as such, they knew everything there was to know about the female lead.