Ch. 16 Petty

When Matriarch He saw that her grandson was still in a daze, she urged him, "Return to your courtyard quickly. It's almost dark, and your wife suffered a shock. Reassure her a little."

Madam Zou urged him along in the same vein.

He Changdi absentmindedly returned to his own courtyard, his thick and sharp eyebrows furrowed together, like a pair of wicked swords.

Back at Qingxi Hall, Madam Zou said in a helpless sort of tone, "Grandmother, it's going to take a while to repair the main kitchen after this fire. Granddaughter-in-Law will instruct each branch of the family to take care of their own meals in their own courtyards for the time being."

Matriarch He nodded. "That's all we can do for now. Anyway, they do have stoves in their own courtyards. When Erlang comes back, he'll just have to eat with me."

Madam Zou nodded in agreement. "Then Granddaughter-in-Law will go now to prepare."

If each courtyard was to cook their own meals, she had to arrange for some servants to send them fresh ingredients everyday. This just added on to the list of tasks she had to manage.

"Go quickly. I'll go take a look at your mother and see how her health is like today."

Thus, Madam Zou supported Matriarch He and they left Qingxi Hall together.

Chu Lian was lying down on a wooden chair, reading a comedy that Fuyan had found for her in the study.

The book was written in traditional Chinese, and the story was old-fashioned, so Chu Lian found it tough to keep reading. The words before her eyes slowly turned into a lullaby, and in just one moment, she was fast asleep.

The fair hands that were holding onto the book were resting on the armrest of the chair. Because the position was a little awkward, her white sleeves were rolled up, revealing her white and small forearms. Under the orange light of the room, that fair white skin looked like warm jade, giving people the urge to touch it.

Senior Servant Gui was waiting outside. After she didn't hear the sound of pages turning for a long time, she put down her embroidery work in her hands and took up a blanket from the side and was about to enter to put it on Chu Lian.

However, she didn't expect to see He Changdi walking in with a stiff expression.

He Sanlang cast a sideways glance at Senior Servant Gui and walked right into the bedchamber.

He Changdi's cold look sent chills down Senior Servant Gui's spine. She was about to follow in to take a look, but she was worried that he would be angry, so she could only bear with her anxiety and wait outside. She kept listening for movement on the inside. The moment anything didn't seem right, she would walk right in and protect her Third Young Madam.

He Changdi walked into the bedchamber with his hands behind his back. He swept the surroundings with a cold gaze, and it was only then that he noticed the small lump on the chair by the window.

The depths of his eyes were really dark. His cool, handsome face carried an icy aura. He looked exactly like a walking ice mountain. He was a completely different person from the nice, loyal husband that the novel had described.

If anyone tried to describe He Sanlang as a handsome, gentle, and sweet husband, Chu Lian would've been the first one to leap up in protest.

With a long stride, he made it to the chair in just a few steps. His cold gaze slowly shifted downwards and landed on Chu Lian.

Waves rippled across the surface of the frozen lake in his eyes unconsciously the moment that he saw the scene before him.

A burst of emotion that shouldn't have existed suddenly rose up and coiled around him.