fourteen

Buffy

I tried to think of anything but Spike and Rory. I wasn't sure that I was completely on board with the whole soulless Spike thing, but he had really made an effort to see her. It was almost impossible how much he had helped us. And now he was alone with Rory. Did I make a bad decision? What if he had been playing us this whole time?

I had only left them for about half an hour, and I decided, why not take a peek just to be sure Rory's still alive. I found a thick tree I could stand behind a couple feet away from where I had left the two in the graveyard.

And as luck would have it, I was right. Rory was laying on the floor with Spike hunched over her. I was beyond angry as a ran towards Rory, my legs burning with the effort.

"SPIKE!!" I yelled before slamming him a couple feet away from Rory. Instead of him getting up to fight back, he just laid there. He looked completely helpless. I glanced down at my friend to find a long slash across her chest. That was not the work of a vampire.

"Spike? What happened?" I asked, suddenly aware that he had been crying. Could vampires cry?

"A girl. A stake. Rory jumped in front. I didn't-" Spike tried explaining but couldn't get the words out.

"It's okay, it doesn't matter what happened. Right now, we need to get her to a hospital." I said, grabbing the limp body. Her skin was so pale.

"Can I come?" Spike asked timidly. I thought about Spike with his bleached hair and trench coat in a white hospital waiting room and almost laughed. But I nodded anyways.

We were running towards the hospital, his pace matching mine effortlessly. "Spike?" I finally asked, the curiosity killing me.

"What." I couldn't tell he didn't want conversation, but I pressed on, unafraid.

"How are you not, you know, all bumpy and fang-y and out of your mind? This is a lot of blood. Why did you not drink it?" I knew it was a weird question to ask, and I didn't even know if he had an answer.

"I-I'm not sure. All I could think was Rory was hurt because of me, and I just wanted her to be okay." His answer honestly surprised me.

"Are you sure you don't have a soul?" I asked, mostly teasing, but he didn't answer. Maybe because it was a stupid question or maybe because he was confused himself.

We finally got there, the neon lights blazing to let me know they were open. I didn't even know what time it was. We rushed inside, Spike trailing a little behind me, obviously uncomfortable.

"This is my-uh-cousin. I think she was robbed." I said, lying the best I could in case anyone asked questions.

"Okay, honey, we'll take care of her." said one of the nurses sweetly before they placed her onto a gurney.

"Can I- Can we go with?" I asked.

"No, I'm afraid not. The doctors will do their work as best they can, and they can't have family distractions. You two may wait in the waiting room." The nurse looked a little annoyed at my questioning.

"Okay, great, thanks." I smiled before turning towards Spike. "You know, you don't have to stay here."

"Oh, piss off. I have as much of a right as you do to wait for her." He scoffed and sat down.

"Okay, I'm going to find a phone to call Giles." I said, turning away from him. After a couple steps, I looked back to find Spike sitting there with his head in his hands. My prediction was correct, he did look out of place. His dark clothes contrasted with the bright fluorescents. Did he even think about how it was almost daylight? Thank god there were no windows in the waiting room. He looked so pitiful sitting there. I finally decided to stop staring and went to tell Giles his niece had been slashed up.

a/n I'm so sorry, I'll write more!! Thank you so much for the support and messages. I never thought this story would get so popular. Thank you all!