Chapter IX

The first thing I see is the familiar darkness. My eyes widen before I look around quickly. "Hello?"

"Cassie," his voice is close, right by my ear. I turn around in a flash and see him standing less than a foot away from me. His dark hair is a mess, probably from him running his fingers through it countless times. His eyes are dark and precise, looking at me as I stare at him. His eyebrow is arched gently with his infamous piercing present. His lip glows in some magical light from somewhere, his piercing reflecting that same light.

"Theo," I say softly, somehow gasping it out. His eyes darken at the use of his real name and he quickly flicks his eyes downward. "You brought me here," I move around. "To dreamland."

"I wanted to talk to you. And for the first time in forever, you weren't blocked."

"Blocked?"

Theos eyes scan me over slightly and he shrugs. "You know, you were shielding yourself from me. I wasn't able to get in."

"What?" I narrow my eyes in confusion. "I invited you in. I wanted to see you and talk to you forever.'"

"Wanted? Past tense?" His eyes angle downward and shimmer in sadness. "Do you still not want to see me?"

"No, of course, I do, Theo," I rush forward to wrap my arms around him. He is slow at first, but then his arms wrap around my small frame and hug me to him so tight my breath barely comes in. "It's just I thought that you didn't want to see me, I realize now I was wrong."

"Of course you were silly," Theo whispers in my ear. "How could you ever think that I didn't want to see you?"

"You didn't come for me," I whisper back to him. My eyes start to tear up and I find myself sucking on my lip in order not to cry. "I thought that you didn't think I was worth the hassle anymore," I tell him honestly. The look he sends me is enough to make my heart flutter. His eyes are narrowed and he chews on his lip piercing before shaking his head.

"No, pumpkin," he softly brings my face back to his. "You will always be worth it. I love you, Cassie."

I open my mouth to tell him the same words, but I can't. I think of what just happened with Rowl. I kissed him. And I didn't feel bad about it. Granted, I imagined him as Theo, but I still kissed Rowl. I gave him false hope that there is a chance I feel something for him like he feels for me.

Luckily, Theo doesn't let me respond because his soft lips meet mine. I beg to deepen the kiss and walk into his familiarity, but the angel pulls me away. I force myself to look down at the ground. My inner self kicks at a lone brick while looking at my demon.

"How did you get away from Satan?" He asks shortly. I look at him and see his eyes are flicking through every emotion. He has to know, doesn't he? Azrael had to of told him.

"Azrael," I say honestly. He nods like he was expecting this answer.

"Well, when are you coming home?" He holds a hint of hope in his voice. I look away and walk a few steps forward. He follows, and when I don't turn to him, he grabs my shoulders and rotates me around to look at him. "Cassie?"

"I don't know," I reveal. "It's safe at Janet's and Rowl is teaching--"

"Rowl?" His voice drips with venom. "Is that why you refuse to come home? Why you refuse to kiss me?"

"I didn't refuse to kiss you, Theo," I snap. His eyebrows move inward and he sends me a doubtful look.

"Maybe not, but you still use my real name. Why happened to "Grim"?"

"I moved on," I reply. "It's normal to call someone by their real name, especially since it holds a power over them," I send him a look. His face blanks.