Chapter XI

Sitting in the passenger seat of Janet's old car, I cannot help but remember what Thaddeus spoke to me about last night. I woke up feeling tired even though I just woke up. Rowl was up and ready, working on getting dressed. I decided to tell him I wanted to go home today, and he just stared at me. He asked me countless times if I was sure, and I could head the sadness in his voice. I think he wanted me to stay here with him. Only I made a promise to Theo.

Rowl decided to drive me home but come back when he was done. He didn't want to risk Satan coming after him, which is understandable. I just hope he is okay. I don't want to be the reason Rowl dies. I couldn't bear it. I told him that Theo would put up a safe forcefield, but Rowl also told me he would want to be there to protect Janet and her family if anything happened. 

"I will support you," Thaddeus proceeded to tell me after I just stared at him last night. He just told me he was on my side, and I had no idea what that meant. I was suspicious. Last I saw him he was working with the devil, so how could I know if this wasn't a part of his plan?

"Why the change all of a sudden?" I asked quickly.

"I came to my senses," he just shrugged. I couldn't argue with that. Even though I was still cautious, I said okay. Surprisingly, he told me some of Satan's plans. He knew where I was and planned to strike, but he couldn't get in and he knew that. So he was going to wait. I'm aware that leaving the safety of the place is dangerous, especially now since I am in the car with Rowl. We drive silently down the road, completely open to demons.

I was going to transport, but Rowl said we didn't know for sure if I could hold my location there. So I agreed and now we are driving from Iowa all the way over to my home. I suck in a breath and turn over in my seat. I want to sleep but nerves and excitement cloud my head.

I'm excited to see Theo in person again. I'm also excited to meet up with all my friends...my family. Oh God, how will Aunt Janice react when I show up? I wonder if there are missing posters all over the place.

I'm nervous about Aunt Janice, the demons, and most of all, Rowl. Last night, I sort of realized I like Rowl as more than a friend. Maybe it's just something like the Stockholm syndrome where I fall in love with my capture. Only he was my captor and my rescuer. What's that effect called? Hero's Heart? Ugh, it's all so confusing.

A part of me wishes to go back in time when everything was simple. I was normal and would smile and never worried about my life. Now I barely smile and I am constantly watchful for anything that can kill me. Since there are currently plenty of beings trying to find me and kill me right now.

Slowly, I am forming friendships with my original enemies. I mean, look at Rowl. If someone were to tell me the rouge demon would slowly be stealing my heart I would've laughed in their face. If someone told me I was planning on helping Thaddeus and his brother gain their relationship back, I would've laughed even harder in their face. I thought both of them were monsters. I guess I really just had to get to know them.

It takes one to know one, the demon hisses in my brain. I freeze. I'm not a monster...am I? A hybrid, yes, but a monster? My mind starts to wander again and I find my throat clogging up.

Luckily, Rowl turns down a familiar street. My heartbeat picks up and it feels like stupid butterflies are stirring in my chest. My eyes lock on a familiar house, the exterior all bright. Flowers hang from the porch and a summer flag hands off of a post. I smile. Aunt Janice has always been the one for a pretty house.

As soon as Rowl pulls into the driveway, I scurry out of the car. I run up to my door where I burst through it. The first thing I see is Ravenna. She's walking down the stairs but freezes when she sees me. "Cassie?" Her voice is a whisper.