Chapter Fifty

Nothing big, nothing too long.... Enjoy it anyway =)

***

I woke Rowan up around dinner time, leaving him time to get rid of the sleep in his eyes and actually open them. I felt sorry about waking him, but he needed the food. So, dragging him to the nearest campfire, I finally introduced him properly to my archers, as well as Darrick and Red. Apparently the news about who we were hadn't gone around camp yet; Red appeared completely clueless. It was probably a good thing, that way we could eat in quiet. It wasn't until it had gotten dark and I was leaning against Rowan shoulder that William showed up. He greeted everyone before taking a seat. Red could take a hint and excused himself; everyone else stayed where they were. I forced myself to straighten up even though I didn't want to. I was growing tired, or maybe it were Rowan's feelings; either way I had been very comfortable.

"Svana, we still have some unanswered questions that I would have them answered sooner rather than later."

I nodded and tried to be awake. "What do you want to ask?"

"Let's start with the upcoming fight; you promised me that you and Rowan could take care of the dragons. How are you going to do that?"

"The moment they come out, we'll need Eric's help to make your presence more obvious to the dragons, make our smell stronger for them, if you'd like. And once they approach us close enough, we can order them to go lie down somewhere where they won't be a threat or be in the way."

"Why would they listen to you? Didn't the Queen, Obsidiana, say that she had a strong hold on them?"

This time it was Rowan who answered. "A dragon's alliance lies, as Svana said earlier, with the person who raised the dragon. That is why younger dragons will always be fiercely protective of their parents. And because we raised those dragons, they recognize us as parents."

"How can you raise a dragon without being burned to ashes?" Harper whispered to his brother.

"Beats me," Bram replied. I would have explained it to them, because it was easier than you would think, but William interrupted. Either he hadn't heard the archers or he decided that their questions weren't a priority now.

"And you are sure the dragons will listen to you?"

I glanced at Rowan just as he did the same, then we both turned back to the rebel leader and gave him a half-convinced one-shoulder shrug. Something about what we had done must have been unexpected for them because they all stared at us, their mouths hanging slightly open.

"Wow, you look really similar when you do something like that," Alex whistled, impressed. "It's almost creepy."

"Anyway," William picked up again a bit hesitant. "Are you still going to help working out the details for the attack with us?"

"Probably, that way I can at least feel as if I'm a little in control. However, I did want to ask; would it be okay with you if I took control of the King's men?" A silence followed that. Wasn't it normal that I had asked William? He was in charge of the rebels, but the alliance of the King's men had been somewhat unclear. They had protected me, yet they had gone to William when we had gotten here. However, would they listen to the rebel leader? There was no doubt they would listen to me.

Then I saw William's gray eyes move over to Rowan for a second, almost hesitantly. Rowan noticed it, as I had. "Don't look at me," he said, holding up his hands. "The armies were always going to be her thing. I would do everything that requires paperwork, not the weapons."

"Honestly, I can't say I'm surprised," William sighed. "I can't really stop you, can I? Their alliances lies with you."

"They would listen to you if I told them I'm not in charge. But yes, I do think that it would be better if I was in charge of them. No offense. It's just that they already know me, they knew my father, and I know most of the signs they use for their communication." I looked at William hopefully; I hadn't mentioned it to anyone yet, but I had already a backup plan forming in the back of my mind and it required the King's men to follow my orders and not William's. I didn't actually hope that the plan would be needed but I had a feeling that things would go wrong on so many levels once we entered the city walls.