s i x

After school was never a good time for Jungkook.

This was for a variety of reasons, but Jungkook didn't have time to reflect on them on that particular day, because Taehyung had trapped the boy in his firm grip almost immediately after the bell rang.

"Please, Jungkook," Taehyung pleaded, fingers wrapped around Jungkook's thin wrist. The younger bit his lip. "Let's go somewhere. It won't take that long. We'll just walk around and talk, and I'll film some random shit- I can buy you food! Pl-ease-"

"Okay, okay," Jungkook surrendered, honey glazed eyes drooping to the scraped up floorboards. The hallway was empty save for a few wanderers traveling in and out, like ghosts haunting graveyards. Taehyung smiled, releasing his grip on Jungkook's wrist. Jungkook yanked his hand back as soon as it was freed.

"Thank you! We should go to Emerald Square, they have tons of stuff going on there," Taehyung ranted, beginning to walk. Jungkook jogged to catch up to him. "They have food, concerts, art galleries..."

"Art galleries?" Jungkook whispered. Taehyung nodded.

"Yeah. We can take the bus, or we can just walk."

"Walk," Jungkook decided hurriedly. Taehyung waited for his company to catch up, then walked in step with him.

"Do you need to be home at a certain time?"

Jungkook hesitated. "No," he said finally, and then added, "Well, before dinner time."

"When is dinner time for you?" Taehyung questioned. Jungkook blinked a few times.

"I... I don't know. Whenever we feel like it."

"We?" Taehyung inquired. Jungkook didn't seem to hear him, and instead shifted his gaze to the sturdy steps of the front office. They walked down the stairs and sighed happily as their feet left campus. Taehyung checked the time (3:44pm) and then laughed, inhaling the crisp scent of trees and biting cold.

"Why are you laughing?" Jungkook asked, shrugging his sweater closer to his torso. A whisper of wind tugged at his caramel hair, ripping the collar of his turtleneck from his skin. A colorful red leaf drifted past their faces and clattered to the ground. Both boys followed it with their eyes, and when it drifted to the pavement, Taehyung stomped on it. Jungkook looked away.

"Cause it's fall, and I'm happy. I mean, finally!" Taehyung chuckled, kicking a pile of leaves. Jungkook smiled softly.

"Is fall your favorite season?"

"No. Winter is, for sure," Taehyung clarified. "But something about fall is so refreshing. It's like the earth is- is... I don't know. It's just awesome."

Jungkook kicked a slump of leaves too, finding it a bit more enjoyable as Taehyung swung his feet at the same pace. "You mean like... like the earth is thanking us for staying put. You know? Past winter, past spring, past the mindlessness expanse of summer, and treating us with a little bit of warmth before the cold."

Taehyung stopped walking, and Jungkook caught on seconds after, stopping too. "Yeah, just like that. Say something else about autumn."