t w e n t y s i x

ehem

...

😎

"Are you in some kind of slump? What is this? I'm disappointed, honestly. Taehyung, don't you worry about your future?"

Taehyung needed a breather.

The words came from his mother's mouth, her tone a direct clash to her appearance. Her tongue spewed sharp, careful insults while a face mask dried atop the smooth expanse of her skin. Her hands, a bit wrinkled, dry, and manicured, were more aged than the bags beneath her eyes. A poser, Taehyung once called her, for trying to be something she was not; for coming off as gentle when she was so obviously cold.

He was being berated for doing who knows what. Something about a bad test, a bad grade, or bad work ethic. She always found something to pick on him about. His father couldn't handle the sound of her voice for too long, so he had opted for going upstairs, sipping a small glass of wine as he went, a newspaper nestled in his hands.

Thursday's were off-putting for Taehyung. Wednesday's were notable for being the middle of the week, Friday's for being the day most anticipated, but Thursday was just a filler day. So the day was already irritating simply for being a Thursday, but even more so with Taehyung's mother screaming in his ears. If he thought about her too much, he just got so angry, so naturally he tried not to.

It was easier to breathe when he got outside, when he felt the air inside his lungs and knew it was coursing through his veins. Taehyung almost considered bringing Yeontan along with him on his impromptu walk, but the route to the liquor store was a grueling path filled with hills and unfilled potholes. His dog, spoiled rotten by none other than Taehyung himself, would not appreciate that.

Taehyung brought a wad of cash and his earbuds with him, knowing he was most likely going to buy some snacks.

Having discovered some new music recently (courtesy of Jungkook, who recommended him some very lovely songs, each playlist made to fit a given mood, either somber or joyous), Taehyung indulged in his playlists during the walk. His heart had slowed its beating to a dull, steady rhythm, and he was reminded that his town was beautiful, with its tiny flower shops and creameries by the boardwalk.

Well, Taehyung thought, approaching a dark little shop, the words Lee's written sloppily on a banner across its roof, most of the town is beautiful. This place is ugly as fuck.

The door opened with a creak, and someone looked up from behind the counter, curious. Taehyung missed the sunlight that kissed his skin just seconds prior, because although the walls of this store were made of glass, the occasional soda advert obstructed light from getting in. Taehyung stuck his earbuds back into his ears and walked down the first aisle.

It was all liquor. Nothing too strange, considering this was a place known for its alcohol, but Taehyung had no means of purchasing the bottles- no ID, of course. He strutted to the next aisle, which was filled with candy and made Taehyung's stomach writhe.

However- he knew Jungkook liked gummy worms. He grabbed a bag, examined it momentarily, and decided it was safe to buy. His eyes scanned the other candy in the aisle, stopping on a fluffy teddy bear. It was holding a red cotton heart and was soft to the touch, so much so that Taehyung found himself petting it for much longer than necessary. Its tag suggested that it was meant as a gift for Valentine's Day, which was odd, considering February was months away, but Taehyung found himself hugging it anyway. It reminded him that he wanted to text Jungkook.