t w e n t y s e v e n

Despite Jungkook's efforts to calm him, when Taehyung came back out, he was angry. Like, scary angry. He dropped the pretzels, Jimin took the drinks in his hand, and he grabbed the guy (Jungkook heard his name, but quickly forgot it) by his collar.

"Piece of shit! What's your problem?"

"I'll tell you what my problem is. Your fucking boy toy was- was in the way of the game, and wouldn't leave us alone," he said, sitting up. Jungkook, still shivering, grabbed Taehyung's wrist.

"Hey, it's not worth it. I'm fine," he tried. Jimin also grabbed onto Taehyung's arm, keeping an eye out for Yoongi on the court, who seemed to be getting distracted by the situation. Taehyung bit his lip, stared at the guy in front of him, and then at Jungkook. Finally he nodded, sitting down next to Jungkook and patting his back. Jungkook rested his head against Taehyung's shoulder, pressed his nose against the older's neck, and gave him a small, reassuring kiss by his jaw.

This calmed Taehyung for about five seconds, until another voice, and a myriad of echoing, laughing voices erupted from behind them.

"I know... faggots think they run the world. Keep that shit in private, seriously. Gross."

Taehyung found himself on his feet again.

Jimin called out for him, wrapping his arms around Jungkook almost instinctively. Taehyung pushed the kid, who in turn pushed him back even harder. Some parents called out from the stands in disapproval, so Taehyung did what any fuming, protective teenager would: ran out of the gym and continued the fight outside.

"S-stop, leave him alone," Jungkook tried. Jimin grabbed the back of the younger's shirt, cringing at the wetness of it, and held him closer, yelling at Taehyung too. Long story short, Taehyung landed more punches on the other boy than he did to him, but somehow, they both ended up with matching forehead cuts and bruises by their jaws. Jungkook watched with a gaping mouth as Taehyung backed away and saw the other boy curse under his breath.

Slowly, the crowd surrounding them dispersed. Taehyung spat on the ground and wiped his face with his sleeve. Jimin ran back inside the gym, probably looking for help or checking on Yoongi.

"We gotta go," Taehyung let out, panting. Jungkook stayed silent, chest quivering. "Seriously, let's go. I'm gonna get into a shit ton of trouble if Mr. Lin catches us here."

Jungkook didn't move. Taehyung grabbed his shoulder and shook it. "What are you doing? Let's go-"

"I- I told you to leave him alone," Jungkook voiced, crossing his arms. Taehyung scoffed.

"Right. Like I'm supposed to watch you get hurt and not do shit about it-"

"Yes! That's- that's exactly what you're supposed to do, because now he's mad and you're in trouble-"

"Don't give me bullshit. He started it-"

"No, not really. An- and now you're hurt," Jungkook said, reaching his arms out. He cupped the side of Taehyung's cheek.

Taehyung rubbed the side of his face, wincing a little. He drew his hand back, a small stamp of blood coating his fingertips. They were waiting outside the gymnasium, only steps away from school property, but still not on campus (which was important, because at least Taehyung didn't punch the dude on campus. No, he yanked him to the sidewalk first).