t h i r t e e n

Getting out of the house was easy enough.

Jungkook slipped a blue turtleneck over his torso, wore his go-to black skinny jeans, and tiptoed downstairs.

Dean had always been easy to anger, but on that day, when all the two could remember was that beautiful, sick woman, he was furious. Dean wouldn't care if Jungkook left, so as soon as the boy reached the bottom of the stairs, he bolted to the front door, hearing the splintering of glass as he ran.

As Jungkook slammed the door shut behind him, the sounds of the house grew muffled. He wasn't looking forward to cleaning up glass, but then again, he wasn't looking forward to seeing Taehyung either.

Some days, Jungkook's mind froze. He was stuck in a loop. There was never enough time to grieve, everything was taken from him so quickly- the sun was beautiful, but before Jungkook could tan, the moon scared it down. His mother was beautiful, but before he could show her that he, too, was beautiful, she was taken from his aching bones.

Jungkook did not establish any substantial personality traits while his mother was alive.
He was a blank, nameless, child, he was anything his mother wanted him to be, anything Dean made him to be. One day, little Jungkook would be playful, happy, and laughing, and the next, scornful, stubborn, uninterested.

Jungkook wished he could show something of himself. Even now, he was nothing of importance, and if his mother was alive, Jungkook would have nothing to talk about but her. He would ask so many questions that she would smile, she would laugh, she would pet the tufts of his hair and say relax, little angel. One at a time.

Jungkook wanted to know so much about her. He wanted to stuff his brain full of little facts, little habits of his mother, until he could be free from his own insatiability.

Jungkook didn't remember her favorite song.

He didn't remember her favorite wine.

He remembered that her favorite color was blue, and then it became red, but he didn't remember why.

He remembered she hated politics. He remembered she loved sports, and loved that Jungkook hated sports, because she loved seeing him think for himself.

His mother was so much of the galaxy. She was every planet, every star, ever asteroid, every life the universe dared to create. Jungkook the was blank space surrounding her. He was the warped space-time continuum, unable to fold, unable to jump from one thought to the next, constantly tangled in pain.

Oh, how she would hate him now. Jungkook thought she would cry, seeing how weak he had become without her.

But Jungkook knew the nature of life. It was only a matter of time.

Taehyung arrived at the house quickly, all smiley and giddy. He didn't seem to mind that the neighborhood wasn't all that pretty, which relieved Jungkook quite a bit.

The county fair was a minor event. Every single year it was held on the pier, inviting pigeons and seagulls to dine on leftover funnel cakes. Builders transferred nauseating rides to the site months before the event actually arrived, so there was always some buzz around school in the weekends prior.

Kids went to the fair on the first weekend and forgot about it for another year. So when Taehyung and Jungkook came up to the entrance, footsteps in sync with one another, it was practically deserted.