f o u r t e e n

"You're lying," Jungkook accused, eyes crinkled up from smiling. "No way you did that."

"I did!" Taehyung yelled back, wheezing between laughs. "I flashed the whole theater, I swear."

"Is that why drama isn't your passion anymore?" Jungkook giggled, looking down. He traced his fingers down his baby blue sneakers, while Taehyung drummed his fingers on Jungkook's knee.

"Probably. I know my mom bought flowers for after the performance, and when I met up with her later, she made me watch her throw them away," Taehyung said, laugh trailing off.

"Oh. That's not fair," Jungkook said, voice quiet. "You were too young to know any better."

Taehyung shrugged. "It doesn't matter to her. But whatever, I'm not throwing a pity party for myself. What's up with you? Anything bugging you?"

"Nothing much," Jungkook said. Taehyung stretched his body on the surface of the roof, looking up at Jungkook. He brought his sandwich up to Jungkook's face, but the boy flinched away, shaking his head.

"Nothing at all? Doesn't your mom annoy you sometimes?"

Jungkook looked at the skyline. "Never."

"I call bullshit. What about your dad?"

Jungkook fidgeted, running his fingers through his hair. "Dunno. I don't remember him."

Taehyung hesitated. "What do you mean? Where is he?"

"Somewhere south," Jungkook said, biting his lip. "I don't know. As far away as he can get from here."

Taehyung scooted closer to Jungkook. "Oh. Have you ever seen him?"

"A little. I guess he thought I was annoying or something, cause he left a few years after I was born. I don't know."

"He left for good?" Taehyung asked, eyes wide. Jungkook nodded, gnawing on his bottom lip. Taehyung blinked, turning red. "Sorry, I don't mean to be nosy-"

"S' okay," Jungkook murmured. He stretched his legs out, gulping. "You can ask questions."

Taehyung trampled his fingers over Jungkook's own, playing a little game of hopscotch. "How- I mean, do you know why? It couldn't have been you. You were a kid, weren't you?"

"I-I think I was three," Jungkook said. "There might have been another family. Maybe he preferred them to us, but it might have been me. Or- or the stress that was born as a result of me."

Taehyung sighed. "That sucks. I mean, why would you make a cool ass kid if you're not gonna take care of it?"

Jungkook smiled, head facing his lap. "His life isn't all that great, as far as I know. Probably selling drugs."

"Are you joking?"

Jungkook scratched his nose. "No. Not hard drugs, maybe- maybe weed."

"Oh," Taehyung said, shifting around. A flutter of birds ambled aimlessly through the clouds, drunk out of their minds. The sky brewed with chaos. "Does he ever write to you?"