s e v e n t e e n

"Do you have milk?"

Jungkook nodded, eyeing the carton in the shopping cart. Namjoon ticked an item off the grocery list.

"Bananas?"

Jungkook nodded again. Namjoon looked up from the list and smiled at the boy, ruffling his hair a bit. Jungkook flashed a smile.

Jungkook and Namjoon went grocery shopping together; it was their ritual, both as neighbors and as friends. Dean didn't go to the store himself, while Namjoon ended up going quite a lot, and he never seemed to mind Jungkook tagging along.

Namjoon whistled a song as he walked down the aisle, Jungkook following not too far behind (pushing the cart, of course- Jungkook always pushed the cart).

"Anything new with you?" Namjoon asked. Jungkook shrugged.

"I don't think so. What about you, Joonie? How's college?"

Namjoon rolled his eyes playfully, grabbing a chocolate bar. "College is fine. Tell me about you." Namjoon dropped the bar into the cart, holding his hand up a few feet from the ground. "I remember when you were this big-"

Jungkook pouted. "You're not much older than me!"

Namjoon smiled again. "Fine, fine. Any new friends?"

Namjoon liked to phrase his questions like that. Friendly, even if they teetered on a lie- "any new friends," he asked, as if there were any friends before. Lucas was a friend, Jungkook supposed, but Jungkook wouldn't draw the line there. It was difficult to understand.

"Well, there's this one guy," Jungkook started, biting his lip. Namjoon's eyes immediately grew big, and he slipped his tan fingers through his purple hair, tugging at it. "Um- he's just a friend. He's doing a project on me."

"What project?" Namjoon asked, smiling slyly. "Chemistry? Human body systems, perhaps-"

"Joon!" Jungkook whispered, embarrassed. He cleared his throat. "No, it- it's a film project. But... he's kinda really nice and sweet all the time, I think."

Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows. "He's kinda really nice and sweet all the time, you think? Contradictory statement," Namjoon announced, eyeing a package of noodles. Jungkook blushed, getting flustered.

"No, he's cute," Jungkook let out, blinking his sparkly eyes. He cleared his throat. "Um- he said I was pretty," Jungkook mumbled. He tucked a strand of warm brown hair behind his ear, dragging his fingers down to the bottom of his ear, where he fiddled with his tiny hoop earring. Namjoon (fully grown, young adult Namjoon) squealed.

"That's so exciting, Koo! Did y'all get whizzed?"

"What?"

Namjoon frowned. "Did you or did you not get whizzed. Like- in love, not in- in drugs."

"I don't think people say that."

"They don't?"

Jungkook shook his head slowly. "Sorry."