t w e n t y o n e

Jungkook was laughing.

Yes, that's the first thing that came to Taehyung's mind, the first thought his poor brain managed to yank from the smoky depths of his subconscious. Jungkook was laughing, and Taehyung was the cause.

He was doing that thing where you make a really great joke, and the other person laughs, so you keep on adding on and on, stacking remark upon remark until it's all worn out.

And frankly, he had never seen Jungkook laugh that hard. But there the boy was, giggling, with red cheeks and a childlike smile that, despite his covering of his lips with his palm, entangled all of his features in its web, crinkling his eyes and scrunching his nose.

Taehyung was laughing too, but not because his joke was funny (to be honest, he didn't really remember what he said). Jungkook hid his face in his hands, shaking his head.

"You- you're mean," Jungkook spluttered between laughs, and Taehyung just pet the boy's head and smiled, because he honestly did not remember what he had said. Honestly.

"You're the one who laughed," Taehyung argued, pinching his cheek. They were sitting on the roof again, eating lunch. More specifically, Taehyung was feeding Jungkook his sandwich, and Jungkook kept insisting Taehyung try these chocolate almonds he bought at the drugstore, because the packaging was pink and Jungkook thought they were very very very pretty. They tasted horrible.

Jungkook let out a little hmph, and Taehyung just had to smile- the boy seemed happier than usual that day. He was wearing a big blue hoodie, hood up and drooping over his reddened ears, with jeans that hugged his legs snugly. They were supposed to eat with Taehyung's friends that day, and Jungkook said he was fine with doing so, but Taehyung saw the way his eyes traveled all over the place, hands shaky and fumbling, and assumed he needed a break- which was fine with the older anyway.

"Koo, c'mere. You're too close to the edge," Taehyung berated, grabbing onto Jungkook's arm. Jungkook had a strange habit, always inching closer to the edge of the rooftop, and his reason was the same every time he was caught, pout forming on his face-

"The view's nicer like this," Jungkook mumbled, scooting his butt closer. He very carefully set his legs down, letting them dangle off the edge, and swung them a little.

"No," Taehyung said. He pulled Jungkook away, but the younger slipped out of his grasp, moving to sit by the edge. "Jungkook-"

"I like living life on the edge," Jungkook said, smiling softly. It took Taehyung a few seconds to process the joke.

"That's... cute," Taehyung decided. "But still. Back up."

"N-O spells no thank you," Jungkook said, closing his eyes. A breeze swept past the two, entangling them in a storm of invisible leaves, misted air, and songbird hums. Taehyung wrapped his arm around Jungkook's waist.

"O-oh," Jungkook let out, eyes trailing down to the hand. Long fingers kneaded his torso, pulling him closer.

"It's a seatbelt," Taehyung said, as if his intentions were so obvious. Jungkook bit his lip.

"I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this, but last time I checked- again, not sure, don't get mad- but don't seatbelts go in front of you? Not behind-"