Tatzelwurm

Artist: Glauco Longhi

TATZELWURM

(tat - zeh - el - wh - erm)

Historical Context:

These creatures originate from Alpine Mythology, but can be found in other myths and legends under different names such as Stollenwurm, Stollwurm, Bergstutz, Springwurm, Praatzelwurm, and Arassas.

Height: ≈  110cm
Weight: ≈ 90kg 
Life-span: ≈
17 years
Attack:  70 // claws, teeth, venom, body, tail
Armour:  20 // furry and thin scales
Defence:  50 // fast climber, fast digger
Stealth:  90 // silent slider, usually can camouflage
Diet: carnivore // small mammals up to a doe
Habitat: woodlands or forests

Height: ≈  110cmWeight: ≈ 90kg Life-span: ≈ 17 yearsAttack:  70 // claws, teeth, venom, body, tailArmour:  20 // furry and thin scalesDefence:  50 // fast climber, fast diggerStealth:  90 // silent slider, usually can camouflageDiet: carnivore // ...

Artist: Calpeo-Fox

Sex:
Female tatzelwurms are known as vixens and male tatzelwurms are either called tods or dogs. Either term is appropriate; dogs in the human world usually do not exist in fantasy worlds. However, if both exist in the same universe, refer to a male tatzelwurm as a tod. The offspring of tatzelwurms are commonly referred to as kits or cubs.

Appearance:
Tatzelwurms are a breed of dragon, therefore their body vaguely will replicate a replite like body. The tatzelwurm has a long, snake like body (similar to a Chinese Dragon). Depending on the breed of tatzelwurm, the body can either mostly be covered in a thin layer of fur instead of scales, or the other way round. The underbody of the tatzelwurm is scaled. The tatzelwurm has two front legs that help it climb and hunt. The face and head of a tatzelwurm replicate the appearance of a cat, and sometimes a fox.  
A specific tatzelwurm will have fangs that sit outside the mouth (like a sabertooth tiger), this is to show the dominance of the creature over the rest of its group. The fangs do not occur in every tatzelwurm.

Mating:
Tatzelwurms are most likely to have up to three kits, though this can vary depending on the envirnoment the offspring is born into. Once offspring is born, the first five minutes are crucial for seeing whether the tatzelwurm will survive and thrive in the world without the help of their biological mother. Interestingly, it is the vixen that will initate the want and search for a partner, rather than the tod. For this reason, vixens are the dominant sex.

 For this reason, vixens are the dominant sex

Artist: FelineFire ~ Tumblr

Hunting:
Tatzelwurms are carnivorious creatures, and the vixens are usually the ones to do the hunting. However, it is the tod's job to teach the kits hunting skills. Tatzelwurms are usually seen alone, but they do travel in packs. Their techniques for hunting are quite intelligence. This is because they will pretend they are alone and vulnerable to their prey, depending on how big or how many there are. Then, just when the time is right, the other tatzelwurms that were lurking in the shadows will propel themselves out and help.
Furthermore, the most likely way for a tatzelwurm to defeat its prey is by choking or suffocating it to death before causing damage.

Temperament:
Tatzelwurms are a species that prefer to keep to themselves. They're also a lot like the human cat. They usually more feral and aggressive towards anything or anyone they don't know or feel threatened by. However, if they're brought up knowing a human or other likewise being, they will become a protective pet and show their love through bringing dead animals.

Rarity:
Most tatzelwurms are pretty general; they follow similar behaviours and share similar physical features. The only tatzelwurms that fall out of line are the alpha bred tatzelwurms. Like seen in the picture above the title, they are stronger, bigger and more frightening than the regular tatzelwurm. Alpha tatzelwurms are usually used as weapons, protectors and hunters.

 Alpha tatzelwurms are usually used as weapons, protectors and hunters

Artist: Third-Axis ~ DeviantArt