Kirin

Artist ~ Joseph Lin

KIRIN
(kee-ruhn)

Historical Context:
The Kirin is a creature from Chinese mythology. It also goes by the name Qilin. Other cultures in East Asia also have this creature in their mythology. They are cousins to all the one-horned creatures.

Height: ≈ 62 inches
Weight: ≈ 680 kilograms
Life-span: ≈ 50 years
Attack: 30 // large horns
Armour: 60 // scales over body
Defence: 40 // decent speed and stamina to run away
Stealth: 70 // quiet creatures who can remain hidden
Diet: herbivore // grass, berries, sometimes the leaves of certain trees and bushes.
Habitat: grasslands // this can also involve certain types of woodlands.

Artist ~ eyestrain on Deviantart

Sex:
The female kirin is refered to as a lin, and a male kirin is refered to as a qi. These two put together create the name 'qilin', which is the other name for this creature. The offspring for this creature are known as silks.

Appearance:
The kirin has various physical descriptions, but majority of them involve many dragon-like qualities. They have the height of a horse, but their body can take the form of either a deer, ox or horse. Their body is covered in scales and have antlers on their head like a deer as well. They also have manes that grow upward, and the qi's grow beards too. Kirins can also vary in colours, and they are particularly colourful.

Furthermore, kirins have tails. They can vary between a thin like tail with a large tuft of hair at the end. Or they can be very thick, long and flat with hair that grows around it. Kirins' also have whiskers that sit under their noses.

Mating:
Kirins mate for life. These creatures start looking for mates between the ages of ten to twelve years of age. A lin will have up to three silks in her lifetime. Both the lin and qi will help in the upbringing of their offspring.

Artist ~ beccatherose

Hunting:
Kirins do not hunt, they are herbivores. However, they do graze in herds. In larger herds, one qi will watch over all kirins. If it is a smaller herd, they will collectively look out for each other for when danger comes.

Temperament:
Kirins are quiet tempered creatures. They are much like deer, they stick to themselves and don't bother anyone else. They are easy pets to keep, but they are sacred creatures that should be left alone to their own devices to keep the order of nature in tow.

Rarity:
Some kirins only have one-horn, but they are the rarer kind. They also have a tendency to be more dominant than the two-horned kirins. Furthermore, there are some kirins that are plated in golden scales and white manes, but they are incredibly rare.

Artist ~ Nambroth on Deviantart