Hippocampus

Artist~ Nimphradora on DeviantArt

HIPPOCAMPUS
(hip-oh-cahm-pus)

Historical Context:
The hippocampus, also known as the hippocamp or hippokampus, originates from Greek Mythology. This creature can also be found in Phoenician, Etruscan, Pictish, and Roman mythology.

Height: ≈ 180cm
Weight: ≈ 1,000kg
Life-span: ≈ 25-30 years
Attack: 60 // sharp teeth, strong muscles, sometimes sharp spines
Armour: 50 // thick skin
Defence: 70 // fast swimmer
Stealth: 60 // depending on colour, can camouflage very well
Diet: omnivore // seaweed, kelp, coral, fish (of any type)
Habitat: typically the ocean, rarely found in smaller bodies of water

Height: ≈  180cmWeight: ≈  1,000kgLife-span: ≈  25-30 yearsAttack:  60 // sharp teeth, strong muscles, sometimes sharp spinesArmour:  50 // thick skinDefence:  70 // fast swimmerStealth:  60 // depending on colour, can camouflage very wellDiet: om...

Artist~ Htg17 on DeviantArt

Sex:
The female hippocampus is known as a mare, and the male hippocampus is known as a stallion. The offspring are known as colts.

Appearance:
In simple terms, the hippocampus is a fish and a horse squished together. It has the head and the fore-parts of a horse, then the tail of a fish. Some describe the hippocampus as the horse mermaid, or a seahorse. Its body is covered in fins, from its head to its tail. Some hippocampi will have hooves at the end of their fore-legs, or they can have fins. Furthermore, there's a variation in their mane, where it may be hair or another set of fins. There is also a large variety in the colours of hippocampi, just like there is in a regular horse. Typically, they are pastel colours, where they can glimmer in the sun, but they can be any colour.

Mating:
Hippocampi mate for life, and the stallion will search for a mate. The mare can lay up to five eggs within her lifetime, and both will stay with the colts until they are seven-years-old. The mare typically has a tendency to be more affectionate with female colts and tougher with the males, which the stallion will be more tender for.

 The mare typically has a tendency to be more affectionate with female colts and tougher with the males, which the stallion will be more tender for

Artist~ unknown

Hunting:
Both mares and stallions involves themselves in the hunting. Hippocampi usually hunt and scavenge for food in pairs, but can also graze in large groups known as herds. The stallions will do most of the hunting when it comes to meaty meals, such as fish, sharks and dolphins.

Temperament:
Hippocampi are much like horses. They are easy to tame, have lots of personality, and usually have a friendly temperament. However, they can also be very vicious toward humans, and may even see them as a delicious meal. Hippocampi work very well with mermaids in the water, and may be friendly toward humans, but it's rare.

Rarity:
Most hippocampi are very similar, aside from different coloured skin. However, horned hippocampi exist. They are seen as the unicorn seahorse, and have access to magic. But these creatures are incredibly rare, and are either completely white or completely black in colour.

 But these creatures are incredibly rare, and are either completely white or completely black in colour

Artist~ Yeale on DeviantArt