Chapter Fourteen: A Single Rose

They didn't see Stella until their transfiguration lesson the next day. Sophie, Sirius, and James were all standing outside outside the classroom, eagerly discussing their next quidditch match against the Slytherins.

"Based on what we saw yesterday the Slytherins all can't stop arguing long enough to actually play the game", James was saying, "when Peter and I snuck down half their team was late and the other half wouldn't stop arguing."

"Sounds like it will be an easy win for us then", Sirius grinned.

Sophie didn't hear what they said next. At the end of the hallway Stella had emerged walking hand in hand with Alexander Gray and laughing with Bellatrix Black.

"What the-", she muttered. James and Sirius turned to look.

"What is she doing with him?", Sirius asked.

"Lily said she spent last night in his dormitory", Sophie replied, "but I didn't think she..."

She trailed off unsure of what to say. The scene before her didn't seem real. As the Slytherins approached she didn't know how to react. Stella was looking at her with the same look of disgust as Black and she began to feel as though she was going to be sick. She needed to talk to Stella alone, figure out why she was with the Slytherins, and how she'd so easily slid into their group after years of loathing.

As the Slytherins came closer Sophie could hear their conversation.

"I know!", Stella laughed, "how can Jock be so, damn, good-looking and his sister looks like that!"

"Her parents must have been so disappointed when they saw", Black cackled.

She felt her cheeks burning. Sirius grabbed her hand and squeezed it tight.

"Ah well speak of the devil!", Gray called, "if it isn't the disappointment herself!"

"Your one to talk Gray", Sirius spat back.

"You know I heard the strangest rumor the other day", James said loudly turning to Sirius, "apparently Black and Lestrange had a small kerfuffle at dinner last night. They caused quite a scene, I heard that Black was even left crying at the table all by herself."

"You dare-", Black gasped.

"Speaking of Lestrange", Sirius interrupted, "I don't see him. Trouble in paradise dear cousin?"

Sophie found herself almost hiding behind Sirius and James. She was trying desperately to make eye contact with Stella but her best friend seemed to only have eyes for Gray. She stared up at him smiling gleefully.

"Stella", she said.

Stella finally turned her head and looked towards her. She looked disgusted that Sophie had dared speak her name.

"What's going on?", Sophie asked, "why the hell are you with them?"

"Why wouldn't she be?", Gray laughed, "she obviously realized that she deserved to be with someone higher class. Someone with pureblood status."

"Oh give it a rest Gray", Sophie growled, "everyone knows blood status doesn't matter. Stella's a half blood -"

"All three of us have got pure blood just like the rest of you", James was breathing heavily his wand in his hand. He was so easily angered by any of the Slytherin group.

"You know", Gray continued, ignoring both Sophie and James, "I should really thank you Potter"

"And why's that?"

"Well you're the reason Stella and I found each other. Last night after Stella had received the letter back from her father I found her crying just outside the trophy room. We talked for hours and she told me all about how she and that Hufflepuff boy had broken up and how James Potter had kicked her off the quidditch team for no reason."