Chapter Three - Lucas

A clock. That is what I would use to describe every aspect of my life. My family lived by an unhealthy level of routine. Mom left the house every day by seven forty-five, and dad would be five minutes and eighteen seconds behind her. My older sister, who had started college earlier that year, was an unorganized force on our household. But ever since she moved into her dorm room a few months ago, our house had gone from near perfection in its daily rhythm to almost scary robot level.

Now I was living in a constant well-oiled machine as my daily routine and honestly, it was nice to have things so organized. It gave me a sense of control. The world outside was loud, chaotic, and messy. Too many thoughts, decisions, and people filled every day with anxiety that left me feeling exhausted by the time I got home. I felt somewhat isolated by the noise. Disconnected. It was too much to handle if I didn't take the time to mentally prepare.

I arrived at school the same time I did every day, twenty-five minutes before my first class. I liked getting there a little early. Fewer people meant I had a little downtime before the day started. I sat down on the bench outside of my first class at Downtown High.  I glanced down at my notebook. Lucas, my name, had been quickly scribbled in the middle of the cover. I opened the cover and the notebook fell open to the page where I had left my pen as a bookmark. Running my fingers through my reddish-purple hair, I began to write down a few notes about the next chapter of my unpublished genius.

Add more details and a new character. Not enough conflict. I underlined the word conflict and then stared at the word. I wasn't sure where my story was going yet, but with a little brainstorming, I knew it would hit me at some point, hopefully soon.

It was hard to write anything interesting when you naturally tried to help your characters avoid every conflict that came their way. My real-life preferences were ruining my character's chances for growth.

I heard footsteps approach. When I looked up, I saw a girl with strawberry blond hair walking towards me. Her face was buried in a school map. She was holding it with such intensity that I was surprised it didn't rip under her gloved fingers. She glanced up, saw me looking at her, and gave me a small smile. She stopped a few feet in front of me.

"Excuse me. Can you tell me where English 201 is?" She adjusted her backpack over her shoulder, a nervous look on her face.

"Yeah, here," I said with a smile.

She looked at me confused, trying to decide if I was being serious or messing with her. "On the bench?"

I laughed. "Nope." I pointed to the door behind me. "Class 201."

Relief filled her honey brown eyes. "Oh, thanks." She put her map away.

"You new?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yep. First day." She sat down on the other end of the bench without another word, pulled out a book, and started reading before I could get in another word. I smiled, shook my head, and went back to writing. I was thankful that she didn't feel the need to fill the airways.

Her strawberry blond hair was curled and gathered into a side ponytail. She mouthed the words she was reading, transported to another place. Her dark eyes were glued to the text as if it held everything she would ever need.

It didn't take much of a genius to pick up that this girl clearly loved books. I highly doubted she was even aware that I was looking at her. From a first glance, she seemed relaxed, calm. But her energy was giving off an entirely different feeling. She had a restlessness about her that was at a much higher level than I had ever sensed. There was a jumpiness to it like she was ready to run away screaming at any moment.

I knew I wasn't wrong, but it still felt too powerful for a girl experiencing her first day. Was she homeschooled before this? Was that why she seemed utterly terrified?

I had a knack for reading people. I was not a mind reader or anything. I was more like that lady on Star Trek Next Generation who could sense people's feelings. It got exhausting, especially when I was in a room full of people who were in the middle of a drama-filled crisis. Their emotions echoed so loudly in my chest that I could never seem to breathe. Being outside helped a lot. Made me feel less trapped.

Certain people, I called them all or nothing people, felt things at 100 percent, 100 percent of the time. I had to limit my time around them. Which wasn't too difficult considering they congregated in packs and lived in the theater department.

It sensing things could be a blessing when someone needed help but didn't know how to ask. The tricky thing was getting them to trust me enough to admit they needed it. That didn't always go well. I had heard of others having abilities. Word had started to pop up in the news. Traces of magic found throughout the world. Compared to what I had seen, mine seemed small, and it didn't make much sense to mention it to anyone.

I don't know what caused my ability to sense things. No one in any position of authority or otherwise seemed to have any clue either. All I could do was help others when they needed it and keep my powers to myself.

I glanced over at her again. "What's your name?"

She looked up, startled. As if forgetting I had been sitting next to her this whole time. "Oh, um I saw Chris Pratt eating a burrito once."

"Huh?" I laughed. "That is a wild name. Isawchrispratteatingaburritoonce. I may need you to spell that for me."

"I mean, my name is Adelaide. Sorry." She put the book close to her face, embarrassed.

"I am Lucas. First days suck."

She nodded from behind her book but didn't look at me. I could sense her flusteredness, a far more normal level of emotion than the utter panic that had been there moments before.

"Good book."

"What?" She lowered her book and looked at me, wary.

"'A man without words is a man without thought.' East of Eden. The book you're reading. John Steinbeck is a good author."

She placed the book in her lap and looked at me more closely. She seemed to have a calmer energy now. "Do you have a favorite?"

"Book or quote?" I smiled.

"Both." She turned to face me fully.

"Of Mice and Men," I replied closing my notebook.

"Good choice." She nodded, processing my words. "And your favorite quote?"

"I told you already. 'A man without words is a man without thought.' What is yours?"

Her eyes clouded. "East of Eden. 'People like you to be something, preferably what they are.'"

I tilted my head in surprise. "Interesting quote choice. Any particular reason why that is your favorite?"

She crossed her arms, her face serious. "I have found nothing else to be quite as true. People like people like themselves."

The school bell rang, taking us out of the conversation. She jumped up from the bench. "Nice to meet you Lucas."

"Nice to meet you too Isawchrispratteatingaburritoonce." I shot her a grin as I watched her face turn red. Standing up, I grabbed my notebook and school bag. Before I could get clarity on her actual name, she turned and walked into class.