Chapter Eighteen - Lucas

I was irritated as I walked back home. Nella had locked me back up in the tech booth when she pulled Adelaide away, leaving me to watch Adelaide disappear into the night. I was trapped until the school janitor stopped by two hours later, surprised to see me sitting inside of the school tech booth at eight o clock at night like it was my own personal clubhouse.

Embarrassed, I quickly left before he could ask me what happened, ducking my head, hoping to NEVER run into him again.

Adelaide was gone. She had been forced to leave and I had done nothing to stop it. I groaned, angry with myself. I have to get Adelaide back. But I wasn't sure how I was going to find her. I didn't have a full plan, but my feet were moving without me, trying to fill in the blanks without a roadmap.

I instinctively began to mentally type up a to-do list. I need to get home, grab a few things, and then head out. I need to think of what to say to my parents. I had no idea where I was going once I had gotten my things together. I wasn't good with spontaneity or making things up as I went. Running my fingers through my hair, I tried to push down my frustration.

Suddenly Rachelle appeared next to me, a flash of blue eyeliner out of the darkness. I would have jumped, but my brain seemed to be off, half focused on a goal that felt out of focus. How do I get to you, Adelaide?

Rachelle matched my walking speed. "Found Adelaide. She got your book."

"Good. Thanks. Did Nella catch you?" I asked without looking at her.

"Nope. No one ever does." She rolled her eyes, an amused glint filling them. "That chick was determined though. Can take quite the beating."

I paused mid-step, torn between wishing it were true, and really hoping it wasn't. Nella was dangerous. "I'm sorry. Did you attack her? Please tell me you didn't attack her?"

Rachelle's purple lips quirked up. "Fine. I didn't attack her."

I continued walking, forcing myself to move, hoping Rachelle would fill in the blanks. "You're just saying what I want you to say aren't you?"

"Psh. I never do what I'm told," she replied sarcastically. "But yeah, I hit her in the face with your book. Made for a good weapon." She chuckled and continued before I could verbally react. "Are you going to fill me in on what is going on? Adelaide is ditching town. I had to ditch some lady who looked like she was ready to tear me apart, and now you have a very, very crazy look on your face."

I stopped again and looked at Rachelle. She seemed sincere- well sincere for Rachelle and I needed an ally in all of this. As we walked I filled her in, well sort of. I would have to give her a longer more confusing explanation later. "Short version. Adelaide has a messy past-.

Rachelle nodded. "Yeah, and she has some crazy powers that make her valuable."

"How did you-."

"I followed her after she said no to having lunch with you, which was a strange reaction considering she bolted like a cat stuck in a bathtub. I saw her use her power. Packs quite the punch. Most interesting power I've seen. So I made a habit out of following her. Same lunch routine every day. I think it's to keep her charge low. The stronger it is, the harder to control I guess."

I stared at her, mouth agape, tempted to run off in several different trails of thoughts. Rachelle has seen other powers? What kind? Why hasn't she said anything about Adelaide before? Why does she make a habit out of following people?

I finally landed back on the main road of my mind. "Okay... Well, I guess that solves my 'how do I explain her superpower' part of the conversation. Adelaide moved here to get away from her past but apparently, it didn't stay in the past. Nella is someone from that past that won't let her go. I need to find a way to get her back."

Rachelle ran her fingers through her jet black hair, her black nails like drips of ink as they ran across her scalp. "Look, that lady that bolted after me is not going to be easy to get past. You need a plan."

"Yeah..." I said, beginning to walk again, my mind attempting to wrestle through several options on how to bring her back.

"So?" Rachelle asked, keeping in step with me.

"What?" I asked buying time.

"What's the plan? Where are we going?" she asked, annoyed at my attempt at playing dumb.

"Are you coming with me?" I was surprised. Rachelle didn't seem like the volunteering type.

"Trust me. You will need me." She smiled wickedly, her eyes full of secrets.

"I will?" I asked.

She scoffed. "Yeah. Let's just say I have a talent that may come in handy."

I was intrigued. Another person with abilities maybe? "Okay. You're in."

"Good. So let's start with what we know." Rachelle skipped ahead of me, tapping her finger to her temple. She turned, walking backwards as she continued. "Adelaide's from California right? Where in California do we look?"

I ran my fingers through my hair again, thinking. Where in California? It wasn't a small state. And then it hit me. She has been giving me clues since the day we met, a small piece of her hidden within her favorite quotes. I smiled. "East of Eden, her favorite book," I murmured.

Rachelle looked confused. Adelaide had read the opening to me the week before. The description that John Steinbeck painted as he opened the book had stuck with me. It was enchanting. But all I needed in that moment was the opening of chapter one. I began to quote it. "The Salinas Valley is in Northern California. It is a long narrow swale between two ranges of mountains, and the Salinas River winds and twists up the center until it falls at last into Monterey Bay."

I looked at Rachelle and gave a determined smile. "That is where we will find her. And then, we will bring her back."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Glowing Sky

(Book Two)

"Tracking Light"
IS OUT NOW!

"Tracking Light"IS OUT NOW!

Hello Readers!

Thank you so much for reading Glowing Sky! I can't wait for you to see what happens to Adelaide, Lucas, and Rachelle next! 

I would love to see your thoughts below! Leave a message and tell me what you think will happen. 

Who is Nella? 

Where is she taking Adelaide? 

What is Rachelle hiding up her sleeve? 

You'll have to read the second book to find out! Book Two "Tracking Light" is available on my Wattpad home page! Or click the link at the bottom of this book. 

Thank you for all the love and for being the best readers around and for loving modern-day magic, adventure and secrets!

All the best until next time and keep reading!

-FrennzyChaos