Chapter Four - Adelaide

I am smooth when it comes to the art of speaking. Someone asks for my name and I tell them a random, useless piece of information about Chris Pratt and a burrito. Yep. I am the queen of smooth. I was seated next to Lucas in third period. The guy who liked Of Mice and Men, had weird purple hair, memorized John Steinbeck quotes and knew how terrible I was at first impressions.

I snuck a glance over at him. His eyes were focused on his notebook tapping his pencil in a repetitious pattern. He had two strands of purple-red hair hitting the side of his face, framing his jaw. Why on earth was his hair purple? I should ask him at some point? Or would that be a weird question? As if sensing my gaze he glanced up at me. I quickly looked away and hid my hands in my lap.

So far I had met one person. Not my personal best. I had been in three classes so far and two out of the three had been with Lucas. If I was going to survive here I needed to make a few less embarrassing connections. I turned and looked at the girl sitting on my right. Okay, attempt number two at connecting. "Do you have an eraser I could borrow?"

The girl had dark blue eyeliner and jet black hair that was cut short. She glanced at me and then chucked an eraser in my direction without another word. I flailed my arms, attempting to half protect my face and half catch the eraser. I was successful at neither as it hit me in the forehead and bounced onto the ground next to me. I reached down and suddenly, Lucas's hand and my gloved hand touched. I quickly pulled back my hand.

"Here. Next time ask me. Rachelle doesn't like people much and loves messing with them." He chucked the eraser back at Rachelle. She caught it without even turning her head. Lucas pulled out a second eraser and placed it in my hand. "You can keep this one."

"Thanks," I muttered as I turned to face the front of the room again. Attempt number two had also been some of my smoothest work. I should not have been allowed to interact with people. This whole finding friends thing was not quite working. I looked down at the eraser. It was shaped like a strawberry and smelled like one too. This Lucas kid was strange. Purple hair and a love of strawberry erasers.

The bell finally rang. I gathered my things and walked out of the class. Rachelle bumped past me. "Good catch. You play professional baseball with that hand-eye coordination of yours?"

I gave a fake laugh. "Nah, I am more of a professional flailer. I got kicked out of ninja school when I knocked myself unconscious with my own arms."

Rachelle stopped and turned around. "That was pretty funny." The way she said it made it sound like the opposite was true. 

"Thanks," I responded, unsure of what else to say.

"I didn't say it was a compliment." She stared at me.

"Oh, my bad. Guess I shouldn't quit my day job." I laughed uncomfortably wanting this conversation to die so I could get as far away from it as I possibly could.

"What?" She narrowed her eyes.

"To do stand up comedy..." I trailed off. Yep. I should never talk to others.

"That was pretty funny too." She stared at me for another long moment. "I won't throw an eraser at you next time." She turned and walked away.

I was left standing there with my mouth open. I heard someone laughing behind me. I turned and saw Lucas with a grin on his face. "Well, you certainly made an impression on her. She doesn't hate you."

"What? No way." I shook my head. "I don't know what conversation you heard, but that was not a start to a beautiful friendship."

"Oh yes it was. She said she wouldn't throw things at you. In Rachelle's terms that means you guys are now friends."

I stared at him for a long moment. "This school is weird."

He shoved his hands into his pockets and shrugged. "Yep. You get used to it though. You wan't to get lunch? There is a pizza place across the street that is pretty cheap. And we will be back in time for our next class." I was surprised that I actually wanted to go. I couldn't tell if it was because I was starving, or the fact that he was oddly interesting. Although I couldn't quite process the reason behind his hair, his bright green eyes had an assurance to them that made me feel grounded.

I blinked, remembering my plan. I had timed it all out and the lunch hour was not one I could spend bonding with people. Which sounded stupid, but in my case, I would have to find another time to make friends. Lunchtime was off-limits. I needed to be alone. That was the only way this new life was going to work.

"I am not that hungry. I am gonna pass. Thanks for the invite though."

He narrowed his emerald green eyes at me, confusing flicking across his features and tilted his head as if reading my face. I could tell he didn't believe me. But after a moment he shrugged and waved goodbye. After he was a ways off, I turned and took off running as fast as my legs could carry me.