Chapter Fourteen - Nella

The boy with ridiculous purple hair handed something to a girl with blue eyeliner and short black hair. I didn't know her name, it was of little importance. She wasn't close to Adelaide. There was no point in learning about her. Lucas had proven to be a far more interesting subject. I hadn't met anyone that had made her smile quite so bright.

They talked quietly. Lucas face was serious as he spoke, brows furrowed in concern. He handed the girl something and after tucking it into her backpack, she smirked and sprinted off in the other direction, her black hair flying out behind her. She was fast. Lucas darted off in the opposite direction.

I could tell that one of them was going to warn Adelaide. Which one do I follow? After a moment of hesitation, I darted after the girl. She quickly sprinted through her school, dashing across the grass and hopping over a bench in one graceful swoop.

I quickly followed, needing to stop her before she reached Adelaide. The girl was much faster than I had expected, tearing off of school grounds and down an alley in a blur. I turned the corner after her, to find that she had disappeared.

I stopped for a moment, scanning the alley. Where are you? After a moment, I saw her disappearing down another corner to the right. I sprinted at full speed to catch up. As I rounded the corner, I was met by a book hitting me across the face, knocking me to the ground with a CRACK.

Pain and blood filled my nose as I blinked, trying to see past the pain. I bit back a swear, not wanting to give her the satisfaction.

The girl didn't stop moving, running passed me in the opposite direction. I jumped to my feet, a hand up to my nose and moved after her, a trickle of blood leaving a path behind me as I moved. I felt dizzy, but pushed through it. I won't be taken down by a girl with a big book.

The girl rounded another corner dissapearing again. I came around the corner a second after her and scanned the alley. The girl was nowhere to be found. She had a terrible habit of vanishing right when I was getting close.

I heard a noise and glanced up. The girl was hoisted up on the second story balcony, sitting comfortably on the edge, one leg up on the metal grating, the other hanging over the side, swinging back and forth casually. She wiggled her fingers at me in a taunting greeting. Her black hair falling into her face, sending it into shadow. She looked down at me with a smirk. "You'll never catch me lady. It's cute that you try so hard though. Points for that."

I bit down an angry response. There was no point in fighting with this mysterious girl. She wasn't my target. "There's a fire escape about ten feet that way." The girl motioned to a set of stairs against the brick wall of the building. "You are welcome to come on up!" she said nonchalantly, clearly enjoying herself. I hadn't met anyone who wasn't afraid of me before, and her interaction with me was shocking, irritating but oddly curious. Does she know what I can do? Does she care? She doesn't strike me as the clueless type.

The girl waved, turned and slipped through the window before I could get answers. I rubbed my nose, trying to get the pain under control. She was clearly baiting me and I didn't have time to chase this girl all over town. I should have followed Lucas. This one was just leading me on a wild goose chase.

I hadn't done a check on her earlier, but I was mentally kicking myself for not thinking that far ahead. I turned and sprinted away, off to find Lucas, determined to stop him before he could get to her.

Adelaide was mine to take and it would be unnecisarrily irritating to have her know I had come for her before I was ready to reveal myself. Soon she would, but not before I took care of Lucas.