Chapter Thirteen - Lucas

The school day had ended and I was eager to meet Adelaide. I really needed to figure out why she was so terrified, and the fact that she was finally going to show me, left me feeling nervous and excited. I was so deep in thought as I placed my books in my locker that I didn't notice the girl that moved to stand next to me until she spoke.

"Are you Lucas?" 

Pulling myself from my thoughts, I turned to look at the girl with dark brown hair and dark sunglasses who I thought was looking back at me, but it was hard to tell. I couldn't see anything past the dark lenses. She looked like she was around my age. She had a cold demeanor. 

"That's me. And you are?" I closed my locker and faced the girl. 

"Someone who knows Adelaide from her past." I sensed an anger that ran deep. "I know what she is capable of, and you need to stay away from her." 

My head spun. Is this the past that Adelaide had warned me about?

She leaned close and her next words came out as a growl. "This is a warning. If you go and see her tonight, things will not end well." 

"Is that a threat?" I asked, an edge to my tone. I didn't like her aggresve suggestion. Her warning was unnecisarry. I trusted Adelaide. Even if she had done something in her past, I could tell she was incredibly careful, hoping not to make the same mistakes twice.

"It is," she said leaning closer. Her emotions shut down, closing off. I tilted my head, attempting to read her, but she had become a fortress, leaving me to rely on visual tells. But she gave none.  I felt like a fish out of water. Who are you?  

The girl adjusted her shades."One way or another. Being around her will have a messy end. So I will make that decision easy for you. If you go, I will hurt Adelaide." 

My heart stopped, my veins filled with ice. This girl was dangerous. Why else would she threaten to hurt someone. "She is a good person." I said, my tone growing angry. "Just let her live her life."

 The girl took a step back and crossed her arms, taking me in. "You like Adelaide." It wasn't a question, but a fact that seemed to amuse her. A piece of information that she found insightful. I don't like that. I don't want her to know anything about me, or Adelaide. But she knew I was meeting her tonight. What else does she know?

I didn't say a word. I had no idea what was going on and in that moment I knew that talking to this girl would cause nothing but problems. The less she knew, the better. 

She rubbed her temples, sounding tired, bored of the conversation like we were discussing paint colors and not threats to someone I cared about. "Look, it's simple, don't see her and she stays fine. See her and... well she won't stay fine." Then she turned and walked away before I could say anything else.

What was that girl going to do if I see Adelaide? Will she really try to hurt her? Maybe she is the reason behind Adelaide's fear.

"That girl is crazy," Rachelle said behind me, startling me enough to make me drop my books. 

"Woah! Chill. I'm not gonna bite." She said rolling her eyes as she reached down to help me pick up my books. 

"Sorry." I muttered as I reached down.

"Who was that weird girl?" Rachelle asked as we stood to our feet. 

"I have no idea," I said as I ran my fingers through my hair as we stood back up.

"Well, she hates Adelaide. Which doesn't make much sense to me. She barely lets anyone get close enough to let them know she has a personality," Rachelle scoffed. 

Aint that the truth, I thought. Adelaide had hardly made much progress in the friends department since enrolling. Rachelle leaned back and looked at me. "You've been distracted today. Well besides that weird mysterious threat that I really hope is a prank." A smirk crossed her face. "Let me guess. You are distracted by Adelaide." She poked me and imitated a girly girl gossiping about a secret crush. "You like her."

"Am I wearing a sign or something that says that?" I hadn't realized it was so apparent.

She shook her head. "Nope just crazy obvious. You guys have some serious chemistry." 

"Yeah," I said with less enthusiasm than I wanted. What a mess I was in. My head was still spinning. I need to warn Adelaide. But how can I without getting her hurt?

"You okay?" she asked, showing a hint of concern. 

"Not really." I said, making no move to hide my feelings. I knew better than to ignore what that strange girl had said. And if anyone was michevious and clever enough to think of a loophole, of a way around the strange web that had begun to form around me, it was Rachelle. "I need your help. Can you do me a favor?" 

She grinned, curiosity sparking in her eyes. "With weird girl? Sure."