Chapter Ten - Adelaide

I couldn't breathe as Lucas looked down at me. He immortalized me on the page? I needed to stay hidden and I have chosen a writer as my friend. I held back a groan. I've been so stupid. I  grew close to someone who tattoed my soul into a book! He traced me with ink. Baring me on paper.

"Why me?" I asked quietly, trying my best to keep the panic from my voice. "What did you write?" He could sense my panic. I could see the hurt in his eyes. I am not worth writing about. I am not worth caring about Lucas. Please understand that. If I was just a normal girl, I would accept the gift for what it is. 

"I wrote about a new girl who moved to a new town. And how she changed a boys life." Lucas said in a gentle tone. He knew I was on the verge of running away. 

I gripped the railing, looking away. "Why did you pick me?" I can't possibly have made a difference in his life. He's just being nice.

The air was heavy with my unanswered question. I was afraid of what he would say. I was an idiot for asking but I needed to know. As the silence continued I finally let myself peek up at him. He let out a heavy sigh and ran his fingers through his purple hair, his emeraled green eyes gazing out at the water. "Because you make my life better." He looked down at me, sending my heart stumbling over itself. "You've taught me that my ability is something wonderful. You help me try new things and you push me to become better."

My heart began to slam in my chest as he placed his hand over mine on the railing. His fingers were warm as they brushed mine. "I've had my life all planned out since I was five, and when you came into it, I realized there was room for spontaneity. That not being in control of every aspect of my life was okay. Writers with rigid routines lack inspiration. And you are mine."

I looked down at his hand holding mine, torn between a flutter of joy and terror. "Oh," I said quietly. That was the only word I had to offer. The only word that expressed both my fear and want. I wanted to grow closer to him. But I knew the risk was too big. It could get him killed and that would destroy me.  

Heat crawled into my face, spread through my body and sent a flutter of something I didn't understand into my chest and stomach. "I, um. I'd like to read it." What had this boy with purple hair written about me?

He squeezed my hand. "I'd like that."

"Okay," I said and looked up at him for a moment. Our eyes locked pulling me in, in a way I didn't understand. He took a step towards me, making my face turn a shade redder. What's wrong with me?  Why is my face so hot? This reaction terrified me and I pulled my hand away, taking a step back.

I ran my hand through my hair and gave an awkward cough. "You've improved a lot with your abilities. I think we should see how far the range goes." I shoved my hands in my pockets and took off walking quickly, not waiting for his reply.  Rule Number Three: Don't stand out. Blend in. Don't get attached Adelaide. It could get you both killed. 

---

LUCAS

The sun was starting to set as we walked onto our school football field. It was quiet as long afternoon shadows licked across the astroturf making the field feel eerie. 

"I wanted us to find a place without a lot of people. It will make sensing emotions from a farther distance easier. I want to see if you can sense emotions from across the football field." Adelaide jogged to the other end.

"See if you can sense anything from over there. I think you have practiced enough to sense emotions from that far."

She was all business, barely looking me in the eye as we made our way here. I swallowed, pushing away my frustration. I hadn't meant to make her upset. I shouted across the field. "Pick a strong emotion. It will be easier for me to pinpoint from this distance."

Her face paled slightly, hesitating. She seemed like she wanted to protest but after a moment, nodded. Once she was in place, she waved her arm, signaling that she was ready for me. I nodded and closed my eyes for a moment. I learned a while back that if I shut my eyes, it became easier to tune out the world. This would be my last moment of emotional solitude before I attempted to sense Adelaide's feelings from across the field.

I took in a deep breath, cleared my head and opened my eyes. I could sense something, but it was hard to pinpoint. I concentrated and tried to focus. Suddenly I could sense something powerful. I sensed fear. A fear so large that it threatened to swallow me whole. It wrapped itself around my heart and made my head swim. It clawed at my chest, impossible to fight off. I forgot how to breath and fell to the ground, gasping for breath.

"Lucas!" Adelaide ran towards me.

Then she was right next to me. I couldn't breath. I couldn't get my lungs to work. Spots started to fill my vision. Adelaide put her hand on my chest. "Breathe slowly in and out. Like I am doing. In and out." Her voice was urgent, commanding.

I followed her breathing, trying to match my own to hers. My lungs refused to work at first. But I kept trying until I found my breath and gasped.

Adelaide's face filled with relief as I took slow deep breaths and sat up. "Woah. I know I asked you to pick a powerful emotion for me to pinpoint, but that was... something I have never felt before. How often do you feel that?"

She tugged at a blade of grass on the field, looking way, her face guarded. "Often. More often than I would like. I try not to feel fear like that when I am surrounded by people. Makes it hard to breath and I don't like freaking people out."

"That isn't a normal level of fear. That is..." I trailed off, unsure of how to finish. "What caused that?" I asked between breaths, suddenly terrified for her.

"Something from a dark time. Something I hope stays in the past." I watched her hands shake. A small spike in fear washed over her again. One of her gloves loosened and her visible palm began to glow. What is that? She quickly yanked her glove on tighter and pulled back her fear, suddenly impossible to read.

"When we were at the pool, you weren't breathing when I pulled you out," I said carefully.

She turned to look at me as I continued. "When I gave you mouth to mouth, I felt like I was being filled with electricity. I felt my hair stand up and my hands started to... glow." I stopped talking when I saw the look on her face. The fear I had felt moments before was plastered on her face. She jumped to her feet and walked a few feet away. She began to shake.

"Did it hurt?" She asked quietly, her eyes averted.

I could sense uneasiness in her. She was panicking, attempting to find her way out of what I was piecing together.

"It shocked a little, but no. Should it have?"

She looked like she was caught in a lie."How would I know?" She crossed her arms.

"Because I think you caused it." I slowly stood to my feet. "Is that why you wear those gloves. To stop yourself from giving others electric shocks? You have an ability, don't you?"