Chapter Seven - Lucas

Life had taken on a new routine as weeks went by. My cookie cutter, timed to the moment life had now turned into a string of untimed and spontaneous adventures. Adelaide had been quizzing and testing me on my abilities at every possible opportunity. Could I sense emotions with my eyes closed? Could I sense them over the phone? If I practiced enough, would I be able to read minds? At first, I was a little overwhelmed by the attention and questions. But as the weeks passed I enjoyed my time with her and found myself making excuses to see her.

She had a way of making even the most boring thing seem fun and unique. We were in constant communication. Well almost constant. She still refused to have lunch with anyone. I hadn't figured out why yet. I had tried following her once, hoping to solve the mystery. But she was fast, able to keep her lunch secret for a little longer. Her mysterious nature intrigued me. There was so much she kept hidden that I was surprised she allowed me to be apart of her life at all. One moment she would be laughing, making jokes but then suddenly, she would stop talking and close off when even the idea of her past was a potential topic.

Between school and testing out all of Adelaide's theories about my abilities, we spent most of our time together. And in that time, I learned a lot about this girl who had wanted nothing more than to keep secrets. She was allergic to bananas. She loved 80's music and cheesy old scary monster movies. She had a weakness for 1950's diners, all music from that time period and she loved to read. I watched her devour book after book like they were the very air she breathed. She was also a huge fan of comic books and dove into them searching for theories to pull from to test on me.

Adelaide was beautiful. I had always known that, but in getting to know more about her, I noticed the small details that highlighted those qualities that made up who she was. When she smiled, her eyes lit up, bringing out glints of emerald green in her eyes. When she laughed it was a full belly laugh, like a child who hadn't learned to use an inside voice yet. When she was frustrated, she would run her fingers through her hair, ruffling the color so the red highlights matched her rosy cheeks.

She started to fill my thoughts, making it hard to concentrate in class, hard to sleep, hard to get anything productive done frankly. But I knew better than to broach the subject that there could be something more between us. She was so skittish that I knew she wasn't ready for anything romantic. At least that is what I told myself so I wouldn't' scare her off. She kept her cards close to her chest and I didn't want to push. I could wait. 

But something happened that changed things. I had been working on my novel. And until that point was as easy to write as someone trying to declaw a cat without any tools. When suddenly, I found the inspiration I had been looking for in my writing. I found myself adding Adelaide's attributes to characters, bringing her words to life on the page and after that, I had finished a very rough manuscript. 

It wasn't perfect but was farther than I had ever gotten. I wasn't sure what she would think of my raw work, but I wanted to show her. Adelaide had breathed life into it and was the first person I wanted to show. I just hoped she wouldn't freak out and skip town over it. I wanted her to like it. To view it as the compliment I meant it to be. She inspired me. Gave wind to my sails when I had been struggling to move.