7

Logan and I decided to leave the room along with James and Greg so Adam and Charlotte could get accustomed to Mr. Samuel.

"I've never seen you around" I said to James hoping he would explain to me.

"Oh yes that is because the Professor needs my brother and I to take care of him. I don't need school when I have the Professor. He is the smartest person in the world." He gushed.

"Does he know what the capital of California is?" I asked hoping to get some of my geography class homework questions answered.

"People living in California don't even know this. But it is Sacramento." He answered laughing.

"Cool!" I said and made a mental note of that. Greg and I should move out to California after we get married.

"We can give you a tour of the school if you'd like. Maybe you can start taking classes here with us." I offered and he nodded eagerly.

"Sure. You guys go ahead. I'm going to go back to make sure Sam is actually doing his job." Logan said and I waved goodbye to him.

Greg looked at me with an un-readable expression but I knew something was wrong. His nose kept twitching.

I held his hand and started my tour with James.

An hour had past and we were still in the library. James really likes books which comes as a surprise since, I mean, he's been living in them his entire life.

Greg was sleeping on my shoulder and I was just starving.

Why can't libraries have small cafes in them. Maybe that way people wouldn't mind staying there for more than 10 minutes.

My stomach growled loudly causing Greg to jolt awake.

"What the hell?" He asked groggily.

"Just my stomach." I said stroking it as a pregnant woman would and he chuckled.

James came up to us with at least 7 books in his arms.

"Okay. I am ready to leave!" He said and so we did. He dropped his books off in his makeshift bag before joining us at the stairwell.

"Okay so we went through the entire West Wing. Now let's head to the South Wing where the dining room is. Maybe they'll have snacks or at least fruits." I said my stomach agreeing with me.

"Oh well I only drink tea. I don't really like eating solid foods." He explained.

"Why's that? Are your teeth not strong enough?" Greg asked him.

He laughed as if that was the funniest thing in the world. I let out a small chortle in confusion and Greg just sighed.

"They'll most likely have some tea. Come on!" I said to him and nodded still laughing.

What a strange boy.

Then I saw it. His neck had the sign of a scorpion. I froze and he did too in confusion. "Is everything okay?" He asked still giggling.

"Just peachy Mr. Very Strong Teeth" I said and he burst out laughing again.

I pulled Greg to me quickly. "He's one of them. He has the sign of the scorpion!" I whispered and his eyes widened.

"Are you sure?"

"On his neck." I answered and as we walked alongside him he saw the small tattoo.

"That means Charlotte and Adam are in danger!" He whispered to me and my stomach twisted in fear and guilt. Though I'm not sure what I'm guilty for.

"Hey James. Let's go back. I'm sure there's lot of tea in Mr. Samuel's room" I said and he shrugged and nodded.

"Cool" Greg muttered and we headed back up towards the room.

The air more tense as his creepy big smile faced my back. I hated being in the front but at least I know Greg is there.

We made it to the room without another word and Logan was playing on his phone while Adam was reading next to him. Charlotte was in the glass office talking with Mr. Samuel.

"Hey Logan." I said and plopped down next to him. He straightened up and put down his phone in a hurry. I raised my brow at that but brushed it off.

"Wanna go get a sandwich?" I asked using our secret code for emergencies. He nodded and we walked behind some rows of bookshelves.

"James. He's a dhamphir. He has the scorpion tat on his neck." I told him and his eyes widened.

"Are you serious? No way!" He said sarcastically.

"What?"

"I already knew that. Adam and I already spoke to Sam about it. They're cool. They're just like you." He told me shaking my shoulders.

"Like me?"

"Born from traitors, joined the right side of the war. And they aren't even blood dhamphirs exactly." He said rambling on.

I wasn't too focused. Born from traitors? What's that supposed to mean. Just like you? My parents may be on the opposing side but they aren't traitors to anyone. How dare he?

"Anyways I'm just rambling. Point is. We can trust them, they're good." He finished patting my back.

I nodded and smiled bravely at him. My anger simmering just beneath the surface. I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing. I should stop.

We walked back out to join the others.

"Sorry we took so long. Had a lot of choices to choose from" Logan said the lie just slithering out his tongue like syrup.

"Where's-"

A loud crash caused the windows to shatter and the entire building shook with a strong violent rumble. I yelped as I was thrown across the room and into a pile of hard books knocking my head into a covered up desk.

/////////////////////<Timeskip>\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I opened my eyes to a dusk covered room. Faint screams could be heard from the lower quarters and North Wing.

I blinked and felt my head. Dammit that welt is probably bigger than my hand. It wasn't bleeding which is good but expected. I tried to move my leg but it was sharply pulled back.

I looked down and low and behold it's stuck in a pot of molasses. Why the hell Sam has this I'm not sure. It must be mixed with something to be this strong.

"Greg? Gregory?" I called out waving the dust from my vision.

My heart stopped at the scene in front of me.

Charlotte and Greg were both knocked out with blood trickling from their mouths, a bookshelf had knocked down and was now crushing them.

Fucking hell! I pulled with all my might. I have to save them. They'll die like that. My leg snapped out of the gluey substance and I scrambled over the piles of books and shelves.

"Greg can you hear me?" I asked desperately trying to move the bookshelf on them. It barely budged.

He didn't answer.