Dinner and a Break Up?

"Are you coming down or what?" Charlie asks throwing a pillow at me to knock me out of my trance.

"Dinners ready?" I ask closing the book I was indulging in. "Yeah dad's about to set the smoke alarm off if you don't hurry up" she grabs my arm and pulls me down the staircase.

We make our way down the staircase our dad has a large pot in his hand as he hastily makes his way to the dining table.

Katie grabs glasses from the cabinets while Charlie makes it her best interest to sit and wait.

Knock knock

"It's probably Christian" I say jogging to the door. Indeed it was Christian

"Hey Salem" He says with a wave of the hand his other holds a small wrapped box. "Hey Christian glad you could make it"

Upon entering the dining room everyone lights up. "Christian!" Dad exclaims pulling him into a hug.

"How are you Mr. Briggs?" He chuckles. My dad places his hand on Christians shoulder. "Well I'm doing alright thanks for asking. The gifts for Katie I take it?"

"Yes sir a gift before she leaves." He shrugs. "Christian will you make it to my swim meet tomorrow?" Charlie asks.

"Yeah I should be able to Charlie" he ruffles her hair spotting Katie. "I brought you something" He says kissing her cheek.

"You didn't have to get me anything" she says.

Katie always says this knowing how much she enjoys gifts especially if they're from Christian.

The gift was a bracelet like the ones you see on commercials where you can buy charms to hold as memories.

"Aw Salem look" she says jiggling her wrist in my face. I was looking.

"It's beautiful" I look at each charm and it was a gorgeous bracelet.

"Alright guys lets eat."

***

I was helping dad clean up the dining room when I heard faint talking from outside.

It was Katie and Christian I paid no mind, figured they wanted some alone time to talk before she left for school

"I have to get up early tomorrow. I'm turning in early." My dad yawns and looks at the oven clock.

"Okay goodnight" I rinse the suds out of the glass. "Goodnight" He says going up the staircase.

The front door opens and shuts. I dry my hands going into the doorway to make sure it's her. "That was very nice of Christian don't you think?" I say rinsing a rag in the sink.

"Yeah" she says quietly as she twists the bracelet around her wrist. I wipe down the counter and kitchen table.

"Do you want to go shopping tomorrow? For some last minute school things" I shrug, and Katie nods still looking down at the bracelet.

I raise and eyebrow at their unusual behavior. "Are you okay?"

Katie sighs, "I broke up with Christian" she says and my eyes nearly bulge out of my head.

"You did what? Why?" I quickly pull a chair out and sit beside her. "I'm leaving for Scotland in two days. He's not going to school with me Salem. I figured it was best."

"Yeah but you can always visit? Right like on holiday?"

Truth is I never thought Christian and Katie to break up. Never in a million years.

"No Salem, it's too much to handle, I wasn't planning on coming home till Christmas because Thanksgiving is too close for a flight back home."

"Yeah but you and Christian could make it work right?" I try reassuring her.

She doesn't budge. "Besides when I leave for college he won't be around much anyways?" She sighs.

I hadn't thought about that. With Katie not home Christian wouldn't be around anyways.

"I still don't want to believe it's true. You'll change your mind, its true love" I urge but she gives me the look.

"Salem" She says patiently, and I give up.