Pre Slopes

The ski trip was three days away. Harry and I were doing last minute shopping, for me anyways.

"Why not this?" Harry says once again holding up the skimpy tube top. "What for you?" I say with a head tilt.

"Ha Ha how funny" he says putting the shirt down. "Sucks we live in a California there's no good deals on winter wear" I mutter flipping through the rack of sweaters.

"What's about this? You always look pretty in pink" he hums it was a pink turtle neck with ruffles on the cuffs and neck

"Not bad" I say and Harry put it inside the tote. After stopping at forever 21 Harry and I desire to go the Vans store to pick out a jacket he'd been talking about.

"Ooh look" I say pointing to the Build a Bear building. I cringe at what I'd just done. "Sorry I go there with Charlie all the time"

Harry gives me a look. And I know the look it's the look he makes before saying something goofy.

"Oh I beg to differ. I'm sure you bring Charlie so you can have an excuse to be caught in there." I nudge him. "I do not"

Truth is I did. I remember being Charlie's age and every year my dad would buy me a bear from the workshop. He still does I wonder what it'll be this year.

Harry hadn't seen the inside of my wardrobe where they were stored. It's not like I play with them.

"Let's go inside" he tugs my arm. "No no please" I say digging my heels into the mall flooring.

"Salem cmon" he says once again. Harry is a lot stronger than I think. But then again he plays lacrosse and conditions for it twice a week.

"We don't have to buy anything. Let's just go inside" he pushes me into the store.

***

Harry and I are now at the diner, a group of Harry's lacrosse friends stop by the window and make stupid faces.

"How embarrassing" Harry laughs. "At least they come around I'm sure Julie is drunk in a ditch"

"You have more friends besides Julie. You're not going to tell me she's your only friend" Harry pushes the straw against the table top.

"Uh besides Julie I have Issac and well Chris" I shrug not sure how he'd react to the Chris part but at this point he shouldn't care.

"I'm sorry again for that day" he says with a quick laugh. "It's alright we made up for it"

Harrys phone chimes and he looks down at it. I'm assuming it's Gia because he rolls his eyes and turns it over.

It chimes back to back, the flashlight flashing multiple times. "You can answer it. This is pretend remember" Harry's eyes show a look of remorse but he turns the phone over.

"She wants me to come over" He sighs and stands from his chair I think he's going to leave me here but instead he asks me to help him pick a song.

Harry clicks the button on the jukebox and flips through the cards of music. "Are you a DMC fan" I Point at the card.

"They're Okay I'm more of a Beatles fan" he ticks his teeth pointing to the card that reads "hey Jude"

"Hmm we have to find common ground" I say and Harry holds the two quarters up. "Let gamble"

"I don't dabble in gambling not after you won the last bet". "Too chicken?" He hums with an eye squint.

"No Styles." I cross my arms. "Okay if the coin lands on heads we play Beatles tails we play Run DMC"

I didn't think choosing s song would be this serious but I shake his hand anyways.

He flips the coin into the air and it lands on the checkered floor. "Tails" I say and he flips the coin onto the back of his hand.

"No way I won fair and square" I nudge him and the puts the two quarters in the slot.

***