Christmas

Katie and Charlie pick me up from school. He asks me how the trip was and I put on a fake smile and say it went great.

I then proceed to tell them I'm tired and I just want to take a nap. Once we get home I notice Charlie and Dad started wrapping presents. I simply carry my suitcase upstairs and flop onto my bed.

Harry texts my phone non stop and mute his notifications before falling back asleep

***

Katie went back to Scotland so I don't have someone who understands to confide in. I'm a sobbing mess. I keep it down so Charlie and Dad don't decide to pay me a visit.

Hours pass and Harry stops texting. I eventually stop crying. The next text isn't muted meaning it's from someone else.

Chris Brownie
I heard what happened are you okay?

Chris didn't even go on the trip and he had already heard about it.

I didn't believe it for a second.

I lock my phone once more. It's three in the morning when I wake up again. Harry has stopped texting and so has Chris.

I see the small box on my night stand and reach over to open it. I dump all the notes Harry wrote to me into the trash can. I delete his number and old messages before getting into my pajamas

I never thought I would ever be this sad. The only time I can recall was when my mom died. I'm sure she would have told me to never get involved with Harry. To never agree to the pretend love story which turned into a real one.

***

Christmas Day Charlie wakes dad and I up before daylight meaning I get up at 5am two ours after I wake up to throw Harrys notes away.

It was tradition. Dad makes waffles every year too. Charlie dad and I sit in the living room our gifts organized into piles.

Of course Charlies is the biggest. If Katie were still home she'd be close second instead we sent everything to her dorm.

Being home with my dad and sister lift my spirits and With Harrys texts not coming in I've been able to get over it.

"Thanks dad" I hug him. He had given me a gift card to Knick and Knack he didn't know Harrys mom owned the place but I didn't care if he did. I'm a customer.

"I knew you liked a specific necklace but when I went to get it it was gone so I took that money and got you a gift card." He says with a shrug.

"Thanks dad"

My sisters and I had bought dad a Ralph Lauren sweater he had one that he loved but over the years it had become worn down

Along with the sweater we bought him cologne, a watch and a gag gift beer mug. When you push the handle the foam head bubbles up again.

***

After opening gifts and FaceTiming family members Charlie and I talk about the plans for tomorrow.

We usually have a recital where we have a talent show of some sort. My grandparents show off their cooking my dad tells jokes Charlie dances and performs gymnastics routines and I play the cello.

Everyone in the neighborhood comes over.

"Do you think dad will tell his dumb jokes" Charlie laughs. "I'm 100% sure he will"

"Should we ask Harry if he wants to come over?" She says with a tilt of the head. "No. He's probably busy" I say. Which was true I'm sure he and his family were doing something.

One thing is for sure Harry isn't coming over