Cocoa Butter Mandazi

If I don't go shopping today we're going to ha having eggs and toast for dinner. Once again.

"Charlie do you want to go to the store with me?" I ask, Katie's car is back from the shop.

I hope she says yeas. Having another person in the car helps ease my nerves. She looks over the couch and mumbles a "no I don't feel like it"

"Please I'll buy you ice cream" I bargain with her which is something I shouldn't do because she'll be used to doing things for 'payment'

"Sure" she jumps from the couch and puts on her shoes. I turn off the television and grab my keys.

***

Once at the restaurant I can't decide on whether we should eat rice with dinner or mashed potatoes.

I decide to grab a bag of rice and a few potatoes. I remember that dad used to buy 8 which left plenty of left overs now Katie is gone I decide on six.

"Charlie please stay near me" I say patiently she is running between isles and right now I just need to focus.

"Oh my god you're taking so long." She whines slightly bouncing on her toes. "I'm going to miss my show" she complains and leans on my arm.

"Charlie stop whining your too old for that. I only need to get butter. Go get it and your ice cream" I say and she smiles before running of.

I quickly follow after so she's in my line of vision.

She decided on a small single serve Ben and Jerry's Mint. "Now let's hurry" she pulls my hand and we quickly go to check out.

Once we get home I start on Charlie's lunch. I'm sure she's happy we went grocery shopping she usually has to make due with ramen or a lunchable.

I remember dad mentioning he was craving Mandazi. A dessert my mom used to make she learned it from her mother and so on.

I open the family 101 book and luckily Katie has written the recipe down. After finishing her lunch I get started on the lengthy recipe.

***

That night I text Harry and tell him I've decided to drive myself to school. Seeing as Charlie has morning tutoring we would have to leave earlier.

It was now lunch, Harry and I put what happened the previous day behind us. We sat at the usual table Julie was out with her boyfriend anyways.

"Man these are good" a member of Harry's lacrosse team says. I think his name is Tyler.

"What's are they?" He says picking another Mandazi from the bunch in his hand.

"Mandazi it's like a small beignet." I shrug. Harry comes back from his locker and sits beside me.

"You smell nice" he mutters making me chuckle. "Thanks"

His form into a smile. "Why'd you laugh at that" he asks and I shrug. "I honestly don't know...but you probably smell my lotion"

"Smells nice" He says once again. "Do you want one?" I holds the ziplock back open. "What is it?" He says popping it in his mouth.

"Mandazi it's kind of like a small beignet " I say once again. "Tyler has made himself quite comfortable" I mumble and harry looks over at him and grimaces.

"God he's like a horse" he scrunchies his nose up at the sight. "Leave him be"

"They are very good I'll admit." He says and I give him the rest. "No it's okay" he assures.

"Harry if you don't take them I will" Tyler says and I hand the bag over. "No way" harry stands and pulls the bag away.

"They're mine" Tyler says hiding the bag under the table Harry and him end up rough housing over the bag of roughly four more.

"She's my girlfriend" Harry says. "So" Tyler spits out before shoving them into his mouth.

Harry scoffs in disgust. "How could you?" He sits back down with a deep sigh.

"I'll make more" I say through laughs. "Good"