New Years Truths

It was New Years, our family tends to stay home and enjoy each other's company. Katie's High school friends are throwing a party and Charlie and I force her to go. Maybe Chris was there and could make amends.

We sent dad to a party his co workers were having. Charlie prepared his outfit which was his new Ralph Lauren sweater and a pair of nice pants. Once we shoved him out the door it was just Charlie and I.

"Why are you still sad?" She asks and I grab a handful of popcorn from the bowl. "You and Katie made up."

"I don't know Charlie sometimes you're just down and you can't explain why." I say honestly.

"PMS?" She tilts her head. I rethink of the week I had my last period. "No it's not my period a girl can be sad and not be PMSing"

Charlie nods before speaking up again. "Do you miss Harry? Invite him over" she says sitting up to hand me my phone.

I don't know how to tell her but she had to know the truth. "Charlie It was fake. Harry and I were never really boyfriend and girlfriend"

"Remember the day I lost the velvet box. Inside it were letters I had wrote to boys I once loved. And somehow when it got donated to goodwill I guess they were out in the mail and sent out."

"Chris and Harry got one and three other boys and ever since then my life has been out of control" I huff grabbing another handful of popcorn.

Charlie taps her fingers against the bowl. "Salem. I have to tell you something please don't be mad"

"I sent out those letters" I don't feel anything. Yeah my blood is boiling but I'm tired of crying and arguing.

"Why would you do that Charlie?" I ask and she starts crying. "I'm sorry I was mad at you. I don't even remember why. And when we were spring cleaning I saw the box under some clothes and I opened it." She says with a frog in her throat.

"Charlie you have cause so much trouble over these past months." I say containing myself. "I didn't know this would happen. I didn't even know what they were I just put them in the mailbox."

I look at her ocean eyes. Charlie never cries unless she's lost at something or is being a brat. "It's fine Charlie" I wave it off.

It was wrong for me not to express how I felt. Holding it in would only make it worst. I stand from the sofa.

"I'm going on a walk" I say and turn to go up the stairs. She rushes up before me. I go to my room and grab my coat.

She comes in my room. The velvet box in hand.

***

"I am really sorry Salem" her chin wobbles. Mom gave me the box to hold secrets and memories in. Charlie holds it out and I push it back.

"You can keep it" I say wanting to part with the box. "No I took it from you. There's something inside it." She holds it back out and sits down next to me on the bed.

I give her a confused glance before opening it. It's filled with familiar folded card stock. Harrys notes

"I found them when I emptied your trash. I saved them because they were important" she shrugs and stand to leave the room.

I unfold them. spread them on the bed and relive the memories.

Meet me at your locker after school

Can I borrow your Chem notes ;*

Thanks for coming to the estate sale with me you made my day :)

Don't forget to pack an aloe Vera for me!

If you make Chris's cranberry cookies I will never forgive you

Could you braid my hair

Are my lips really that chapped?

Did you know you have over 80 freckles I stopped counting once you woke up. Didn't want to be caught creeping

You look pretty today. I like you in blue

I laugh at a few and reminisce over the others. Love changes you. Once you experience it, it's hard to not crave it.

I gather them in a pile and put them back into the box.