Chapter 25 - the motel

THAT NIGHT I awoke to the cold, unflattering light of a parking lot

THAT NIGHT I awoke to the cold, unflattering light of a parking lot. We were parked outside a motel in an industrial area just off the interstate. It was one of those two story ones, with a wrap around balcony that has you access the rooms from the outside.

Addison was walking back to the truck from the lobby, his hands stuffed deep in the pockets of his jacket, with his collar up to fight the cold.

"I didn't want to wake you," he said as he climbed back in, carrying on him an aura of crisp air.

"Where are we?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"Couple hours outside your city."

We'd been driving all afternoon and into the night. "Have we passed it?"

"No. We didn't quite make it," he understated, hiding none of his disappointment. "It's only nine."

"I can drive if you want us to keep going," I offered, sitting up.

"Nah, I got us a room already. See this?" He flicked the switch for the headlights, but the pavement stayed dark in front of us.

"They're broken?" I asked.

"Kayne," he explained.

"They're not just out because they're out?"

"No. I was the one showed him how to do it."

"Why would you..."

"It was part of a thing once. We had to delay a few trucks..." He stopped himself, deciding it wasn't important.

My mind flashed back to what one of the guys on the greyhound was saying about him; that they connected him back to other 'attacks', but couldn't prove it.

"We'll stay here tonight, then make it as far as the light will allow us tomorrow," he said, delayed in meeting my eyes.

"...We can't just fix them?"

"I'll fix them when I get there. I don't have the tools for it now."

"Does this mean it's a two night trip, then?"

"Most likely. They told you Thursday, right?"

I nodded. I guess I was okay with that. It was one less night I had to find a place to sleep once I got dropped off in Petersburg. It just felt strange to have someone else making the decisions. I've always had to be the one in control of me. "How much do I owe you for the room?"

"Keep it. I've got some money to burn," he said.

"I don't mind paying..."

He leaned in and my words trailed off, my focus shifting to the sudden change of rhythm in my chest. Whenever he got too close, my heart felt like a horse tripping over its own legs. I wondered if that was ever going to stop.