Chapter 30 : blindfold

Noah is standing in front of Aurora like a shield. Heath has just told her to pack her bags. She'll be leaving today.

"No, stay here," Noah tells Aurora when she tries to leave.

"Noah, it's time," Heath soothes.

"This isn't fair! What's wrong with you!? She's been perfect! I don't understand what you're not seeing. She hasn't broken a single rule—"

"If we chose members solely based on their ability to follow rules, we'd be just like the outside. I think we can all agree, Aurora included, that it wasn't a great fit."

"But she gets along with everyone—"

"Noah. I'm sorry. I don't know what else to tell you. I've already spoken to Kent about it."

"He's never even met her! All he knows is what you've told him!"

"I couldn't tell him anything about her, Noah. I think that was the problem. Her application was fine, interview was fine, but since being here she's hardly said a word, even when asked to. You know how much we value communication—"

"She's still learning English, Heath—"

"Communication is important, even if it's hard," Heath emphasizes.

"Can't we just wait a day—figure this out? The Barren's literally just left. Whatever you need, we can work on it."

"Noah, you gotta stop speaking for her. Aurora, what do you want? You've been here two weeks, do you want to leave now or stay forever?"

"He doesn't mean that," Noah says, even though he really did. "You don't have to decide now."

"Noah, let her answer."

She stays silent. Noah looks at her. "Come on, Ror. Just tell him. Tell him you're staying."

Nothing. No words from her.

Noah lowers his hand from her, his fingers finding his now wet cheeks. "What are you saying?"

Her eyes start to mirror his, so she looks away.

"Aurora, come on. You want to stay, right? With me?"

"Noah, I think you should stop," Heath says, trying to protect him because he knows Aurora isn't going to tell him what he wants to hear.

Noah shakes he shoulders, trying to get answer out of her. "What are you doing? What is this?"

Addison steps between them, freeing her of him.

"Addison, come on man. This is crazy, right?" Noah asks, desperately looking for help.

"We gotta keep moving forward, Noah. I'm sorry."

Aurora's cheeks are bright pink.

"Aurora...you alright?" Addison asks.

"Yes," she says, nodding. "I understand. I go home."

"Okay. Come on, let's get you packed," Addisons says, walking her inside the house.

Noah tries to stop them, but Addison puts his hand out.

"You guys didn't even give her a chance!" Noah yells, turning to Heath, helpless. Then he looks to me. "Casten, you've seen it, right? I know you have. You are Aurora are friends. You don't want to see her go."

"I don't know. We haven't really talked that much—"

"Yes, you have! You know she's got nowhere to go. What's she going to do? Fly back to The Netherlands? She's been in America for a year without a visa. It's not like she'll be able to come back."