Chapter 54 : foam

There's a single light bouncing off the walls inside the cob house. I can see it through the glassless windows as he moves around inside. I wonder what he's doing, and if I should knock first. But it feels strange to knock on the door of a house that only has half a roof, so I don't; I walk straight in and go down to the far end where our bedroom will be, my steps making no sound on the earthen floor. Skin against dirt.

I don't know what I'm going to say yet, or what's going to happen, but I can't spend another night without him. I just can't.

I try to make my last few steps louder, as to not startle him. Standing in the doorway, I clear my throat.

He sees me and sits down on his foam mattress that's laid on the ground where our bed will be, someday. He doesn't have much down here with him: a lamp, a blanket, a book... The shirt he was wearing today is on the ground. The room reminds me of a prison cell.

We don't say anything.

The moonlight is shining in through the gaps in the roof, casting faint lacy shadows of slow moving leaves on the walls and across one side of his face.

He follows my eyes up. The moon is so bright that it still looks full, even though it's waning.

I stay looking at the sky, but his eyes fall back on me. He pulls his sheet back, and shifts over to make room for both of us. Something that was cold, melts in my chest. With just one look, he invites me in.

 With just one look, he invites me in