nueve

"no, daddy", summer giggled, throwing her head back as she and shawn sat across from each other at the table with plastic tea cups and tiaras on.

i smiled to myself as he continued to pretend to miss his cup while pouring tea. i had to give it to him, he always did the best he could to make time for summer.

"queen star", summer did some sort of accent that made both you and shawn laugh, "come sit next to king shawn, we're having tea!"

i smiled as i went for the chair next to summer.

"next to daddy, mommy", she broke character to whisper to me.

"oooh", i nodded as i hesitantly sat next to shawn.

summer poured me a cup of invisible tea and refilled shawn's as she took a bite of an actual cookie shawn had given her.

"talk", she looked at us, "i'm always talking", she complained.

"we're talking", shawn moved one of her dark curls away from her food.

"no", she shook her head, "you and mommy never talk, why?"

"ask mommy", shawn looked up at me.

i furrowed my brows slightly, "ask daddy."

"i think it's because you don't know what to talk about. husbands and wives should always have something to talk about", she cheesed at us, "so, start", she looked at us with hopeful eyes.

shawn looked at me, waiting. "fine, i think queen star doesn't want to talk because she thinks king shawn is a bad guy", he shrugged.

my eyes went wide, looking at him.

"why do you think that mommy —i mean queen", summer looked at me.

"because king shawn doesn't know when to shut up", i mumbled, "always sticking his nose in somebody else's business."

he rolled his eyes, "well when a queen does secret things, you should always investigate."

"not three years later."

summer was confused, she tilted her head to the side, "okay...i'm on both sides", she cheered.

"there are no sides, baby", i reassured her, squeezing her hand slightly.

"that's what the losing side always says", shawn whispered to summer.

"so mommy's losing?"

he nodded, "yup", he popped the 'p', "because she's being immature."

i let out a loud laugh, "are you hearing yourself?"

"did you hear something, summer", he looked at her, sending her a wink.

"no", she followed suit. she didn't know any better.

"you're an ass, shawn", i stood up from the table, heading for the door.

"queen star is sad", summer informed shawn.

"you know what we call that, summer?"

"huh?"

"getting a taste of your own medicine."