doce

the next hour of counseling after dr marten's remark had been a blur, like i had fallen in and out of the conversation. i sat on the leather sofa contemplating his words over and over again as shawn sat there listening to him with pure intent. obviously, this wasn't the best way to soak in my marriage counseling, but how was he gonna spring that on us within the first 20 minutes?

"do you think he was right", i spoke over the music while looking up at shawn who seemed to grip the steering wheel tighter.

"about...", he moved to turn the music down, "he was right about a few things."

this surprised me. "like what?"

"what do you think he was right about", he completely ignored my question.

i rolled my eyes, not being able to stomach another argument at this point. "obviously a huge gap when it comes to communication, which was never as bad as it is now. but, do you think he was right about...ya know...", i somehow struggled to even fathom saying the possibility out loud.

"that we fell out of love a long time ago", he tried to help me finish my statement.

i nodded, feeling myself begin to tense and my heart begin to thump faster.

"i couldn't stop thinking about it after he said it. i was in and out of the conversation after that, he seemed kind of...repetitive", he squinted as he finished his sentence.

"yeah, it's like he only had good advice every once and a few statements. and it wasn't even advice, more or less pointing out the obvious in a poetic way", i let out a dry chuckle.

he smiled before going back to a straight face, "wait, what he said was obvious? the falling out thing?"

no. "we still love each other, as far as i'm concerned. but we've grown to like each other as people to overcompensate the fact that we haven't shown each other actual love in...ages."

he nodded, "you should try and get a job in the marriage counseling field", he joked in a slightly serious way.

"i'm hanging on by a thread, i wouldn't give myself that type of credit", i laughed.

"the people who never have their shit together seem to have the best advice", he continued to joke as i slapped his arm.

"you ass!"

"your ass", he corrected.

"you're so corny, i swear", i sighed as i looked out the window.

"what's wrong with cliche and cute?"

"apparently nothing, seeing as i'm married to the definition of cliche and cute", i looked forward again.

he blushed slightly, trying to conceal it with a cough, "i wouldn't take any of this back, i just want you to know that", he reached over to squeeze my hand.

i looked up, sending him a small smile, "swoon, mendes."

"i'm being serious", he laughed whole heartedly at my remark, "am i a joke to you?" he gave me a slightly stern look, trying to keep his face in that position without bursting out with laughter.

"do you want the real answer to that", i asked as we turned into our driveway.

he rolled his eyes playfully as he turned the car off and removed the keys from the ignition, "hell fucking no, social stigma headass."

-

-

-

a/n 

it's freaking raining and i'm listening to "if you were in another room at a party" music and ughh, my emotions