World 53: Part 9

It boiled down to this: Spot was not supposed to exist.

Fei Chuan knew, instinctively, that if he'd ever tried to merge the Zerg Queen DNA with human DNA other than that belonging to Alexander Whiting, it would result in a failure. It could be that the DNA simply wouldn't take to each other. Or, more catastrophically, it could be that they did, but the end result would be specimen meltdown.

Which is why, in creating Spot, Fei Chuan had forgone any attempts with the Zerg Queen DNA and focused incessantly on the Scouting Zerg as a secondary donor.

Spot was in all senses a prototype. He was meant to soften the researcher's views on Zerg hybrids, and pave the way for the [Villain] (for Reyna, her name would be Reyna) to grow up in an environment that actually accepted her. For that reason, Spot need to be non-intrusive, quiet, and ideally gentle. It wasn't a coincidence that Fei Chuan chose DNA from the most passive type of Zerg, or that the human DNA he combined with it belonged to a very even tempered Beta woman. But now, Spot was more than that. He was the ultimate promise of hope, nothing less than a miracle: born from nothing, beholden to nothing..

[They] had no data on him, because [They] didn't expect him. [They] had no data on him, and thus [They] could not control him.

Spot was effectively a free agent in [Their] systems that they could neither predict nor do anything about. A hole. A glitch.

And a glitch in the system made it easier to put in more.

******

By the time Reyna's awakening came about, Spot had won over almost the entire outpost. As such, there was quite a crowd ready to celebrate her waking day. Even military officers had shown up, and Fei Chuan caught a glimpse of both Eckman and Alkan somewhere near the back.

Fei Chuan took a look at them all, denied them entry past his door. If they wanted to watch, they were stuck nearly twenty feet away. There were some disheartened grumbles, but nobody made any attempt to leave or cross the line. Not even Spot, who'd watched Reyna's development over the weeks with increasing fascination. The boy looked quietly gutted until Fei Chuan gestured him closer.

The glass, while thick, did not reduce Reyna's dark, regal beauty in any way. Her thick black lashes made her seem serious, while her upturned, angular face made her seem imperial. Her thick, flowing black locks added an imminent air to her, making her feel more alive and more human. No one in the lab paid attention to her state of dress (or lack of); they were all scientists, and it was nothing they hadn't seen before.

Reyna's eyes opened, appearing light pink due to the transparency of her iris. She blinked, once, twice, then yawned. Fei Chuan set the containment setting to "drain," and everyone watched with a bated breath as the liquid slowly drained away and the glass opened in a burst of vaporization.

Reyna, wonderingly, took a single step out of her containment chamber.

Then she squeaked as her weight redistributed and her legs buckled underneath her. Spot, who had been closest (not that he would have cared if it were the other way either), immediately dove forward to catch her.

The people hovering outside the office cheered as one, only to muffle their congratulations when Reyna flinched and Fei Chuan gave them all the stink eye. They quickly shuffled back to their respective stations, whispering congratulations and cheering underneath their breaths.

Fei Chuan turned back to a rather unusual sight: a seven foot tall, mis-proportioned teenager gawking in endless wonderment at the veritable bush of glossy black hair and little girl in his lap. Already he looked like he was ready to do anything she told him to, despite her being around a fourth of his size.