11. Filler

Sunday
October 3rd, 2013
1:21 PM

Nyla B.

I pulled into the Walgreens and stepped out of E's Audi

I pulled into the Walgreens and stepped out of E's Audi. I locked the doors from the key fob and made my way inside. I walked to the family planning aisle and grabbed another Plan B. This is the third day in a row that I've had to come in here to get a plan B after the previous day of morning and night sex with E. What was supposed to be a one time night of unprotected sex has turned into two times and two times has turned into Elijah not wearing a condom since that night. It's just my luck that it's always the same cashier whenever I come in here. She probably thinks I'm a prostitute or a slut.

I won't have to come back in here much longer. I have an appointment with my gynecologist next week for birth control. I can't keep taking these pills everyday and I need to get on something bad. Him and I get so caught up in fucking and feeling one another in the deepest way that he doesn't pull out and I don't tell him to. I'm being reckless just by feeling the way that I do about him. My gynecologist told me the only negative effect of taking the plan B continually is that effectiveness of the pill may be reduced and I can't afford to have the situation more complicated than it already is.

I took the plan B to the counter and went into my wallet to pull out the money that E left on his counter with a note stating it was for this month's rent. I peeled off a hundred dollar from the stack of money and collected the change. I pulled out of the parking lot and headed back home to park E's car and to get into my own. I didn't feel like explaining to my family why I was in a car that didn't belong to me. If it wasn't my father looking out of the window when someone pulled up, it was my mother or Kia.

...

"Nyla, take these hamburgers in." My daddy held out the pan as he flipped the steaks that were still cooking on the grill. I grabbed the pan and took it into the kitchen. I placed the pan in the oven and grabbed a few beers out of the refrigerator. I walked back outside to the small backyard and handed Kia, Damon, and my grandma a beer. Gigi is heavily involved in the church but she doesn't let that stop her from getting her sip on.

I twisted the cap from the bud light and took a sip as Damon began speaking, "can we go upstairs?" I nodded my head nod and turned to make my way back inside of the house. With him behind me, I made led the way to my childhood bedroom. I closed the door behind him and climbed on the bed, sitting Indian style in front of his stretched out body.

"What's wrong?" I asked before taking another sip of the brew. He ran his finger up and down the beer bottle before looking up at me, "I invited Brandon over tonight so we can talk. My nerves are so fucking shot, Nyla. I even feel weird being here now because I know once everything comes out I will be looked at differently. I know that it's no one's fault but my own, just like I know that once this all comes out, I should walk away from him but how do you walk away from someone you immensely care about even if it is forbidden?"