16. Filler II

Tuesday
October 19th, 2013
9:18 AM

Nyla B.

I've been sitting outside of Mila and Brandon's for the last twenty minutes contemplating on how I should approach the delicate situation. The hospital made an exception and let both Denise and I stay with Damon overnight. While Denise laid at his bedside, stroking his hair and sobbing quietly, I stared at the mother and son while my mind swarmed with scenarios of what happened to Damon. I couldn't think of one scenario that didn't involve Brandon. My intuition wouldn't allow me to.

My phone rang and vibrated against the army green leather seat of Elijah's JEEP Rubicon. Seeing that it was my mother returning my call, I grabbed the phone from the passenger seat and answered it. "Hey, mom."

"Hey sweetie. I saw that I missed your call. Your dad and I just got back from breakfast. Is everything okay?" I informed her of Damon's hospitalization and his current condition. She broke out into cries, the kind of cry a mother would have as if it was her own child. Hearing my mother cry like that tore me up inside. Damon may not have had much of a relationship with his biological family, but he damn sure did with his God given family. I told her what room he was in and hung up with her after she said her and dad were on their way to the hospital.

I stepped out of the car and made my way to their buildings. I piggybacked off of a young woman through the main doors and headed up the flight of stairs. I went up to the third floor and walked down the long hallway. Met with their door, I took a deep breath to calm the nerves that were all over the place and knocked on the door. I could hear foot steps through the thin drywall and moments later Mila appeared in the doorway. My eyes ran over her small frame, lingering on her slightly bulging belly. "Hey, pretty girl. I wasn't expecting you," she smiled and hugged me. "What's up," she stepped aside to let me in.

The kitchen and living room were both empty and the house was quiet. "Where's Brandon?" I asked. She shut the door and made her way into the kitchen that oversaw the living room where I was standing. "He had to travel to Maryland for work. He left out last night." Fucking bastard! He can try to establish an alibi all he wants and it won't mean a thing becauseI plan on shredding all of that shit to pieces. "You want something to drink?" Mila asked.

I shook my head, "no thank you." I walked over to the dining table and took a seat. Mila poured herself a glass of grape soda and made her way over to the table as she sipped from the cup. She pulled out a chair and took a seat before sitting her cup on the table. "Everything good?" She asked. "You look tired."

"I haven't gotten much sleep. I got an early call this morning saying Damon was in the ICU." Her mouth dropped, "what happened? Is he going to be okay?"

"Someone tried to kill him. They beat him within an inch of his life in his own home leaving him in a coma that we don't know when or if he'll come out of."

"My God," she rested her hand on her chest. "Do the police have any suspects? I've never known Damon to be mixed up in anything. Who would do this to him?" I stared at her sympathetically, my own heart breaking from the news I'm about to share with someone that I care about, someone that has been in my family for well over a decade. "I haven't spoken with the police yet. I wanted to be speak with you first. I owe you that much." She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head, "you wanted to speak with me first? Why?"

"Because my gut is telling me Brandon is the one who did this to Dam-" she immediately scrunched her nose and stood up from the chair. "Hold up," she held up her hand. "What are you talking about? You think my husband tried to kill Damon? That doesn't make any sense. Not only did he leave for a business trip in which I just told you, but what reason would he have to do anything to Damon?"